Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 914s Color

RockyColeman

Hello everybody! I'm new to the club and have just purchased an AC 914s. Since the motors off it already I thought now would be a good time to pull it the rest of the way apart and repaint it. Does anyone have a picture or know where I can find one to work from? I'd like to use the correct color and any leads as to where to obtain the correct Decals would be appreciated too! Thanks RockyColeman

You have a lot of options for paint, do a search and there will be a lot of topics. You can get it computer matched at an automotive paint store or you could get paint at an Agco dealer. It is "corporate orange", not the persian orange which AC used on farm tractors. There is a guy with a store on ebay who sells and manufactures decals for these tractors. Try doing a store search for decals, I don't remember the name exactly.

I've been using Rustoleum Allis Chalmers Orange, with no complaints. It goes on very nice. Surface prep is critical to a good finish coat. So far, I've had all of my pieces sandblasted. Rustoleum Clean metal primer was then applied and sanded. 3 - 4 coats of Rustoleum A/C Orange was then applied (sanded in between each coat). After the paint cured (21 days), the surface was polished and waxed. The results were pretty good.
[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck10.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Gary/48Deck13.jpg[/img]

Thanks guys, good info and a big help. I really didn't have a clue as to the original color. Appreciate the help! RockyColeman

Gary-- Nice refinish on your mower deck! Any idea just WHY the AC decks have all those "extra" holes punched through the deck steel? I have the same deck, and find the "extra" holes a PAIN to clean!!! --Jim

Jim, I don't know about your deck, but this one is off of a Agco-Allis 918H. As near as I can tell by looking, it is the same 48" shell as used on the Sunstar with the electric height adjustment. The extra holes are for mounting the electric height adjuster brackets. I am currently keeping my eyes open for a trashed deck with the electric height setup, and using it on this deck.