Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

HOMELITE CT-10 FRONT BLADE QUESTION

supermanwv

I have a Homelite CT-10 (1972) Lawn Tractor that was given to me by my father. I have the front snow blade, and all the hook ups for it, except for the bar that goes from the lift handle to the blade to raise and lower the blade. I need to make a bar for it. Can someone give me some specs to make this bar, or explain to me how to make it? If anyone has pics of one that they have made, please post them so I can see them. I would like to make it before this winter. I have a welder and such, so fabrication will be a breeze once I get some how-to on how to shape it and such. Thanks for any info. One more thing...the brakes on this tractor are some kind of metal band that pulls a piece of plastic (almost looks like floor tile) up against a pully to slow and stop the tractor. Is there any other type of rubber or anything I can use in place of that to make the brakes work a little better. Backing down hill or driving down hill is scary when I can't stop at the bottom...and I end up driving out in front of traffic on the main road in front of my house. SO ANY INFO ON THAT WOULD BE GREAT ALSO. Clark (SupermanWV)

There are lots of different ways to effect a lift rod. Some have used a piece of cable or chain, others have used flat stock and bolts, others bend ends onto a length of 1/2" round stock. This link might give you a few suggestions. http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=45617&SearchTerms=lift%2Crod Basically, all you have to do is get from pt. A (tractor lift arm) to pt. B (front blade lift arm) without hitting anything in between.

Hi Clark, I'm not sure exactly what a CT-10 crosses over to in a simplicity but if it's like a large frame tractor you can download a shop manual from simplicity for it. That will tell you how to adjust the brake. If you need to replace your brake band I may be able to dig one up for you if it's the same as for a large frame simplicity. Good luck, John

I have a lift rod for my allis 610 (Same tractor, just different paint) I'll get pics and measurments tomorrow. I also have a extra brake band with good rubber if your interested. Mark-

Mark, It would be great to see some pics. That way I can at least see what the original rod looked like. It hasn't had it since I was a kid....so I don't know that I've ever seen it. Thanks everyone else for your helpful info. The brake band on it right now, like I tried to explain before, is more like a piece of industrial tile (you know, that all different colors mixed together stuff like you see on the floors of old grocery stores.) There is in no way anything like rubber involved with it. I have a new band just like the one I just put on it last year....but like I said it doesn't even attempt to stop when on steeper inclines. I'll try the leather thing if that is something that works really well. Rubber seems as if it would work a little better to me, but I'm not sure how leather works in that situation. But where could you get a rubber band thick enough to rivet it to the metal band that holds the brake piece? Thanks again for all the info...any additional is appreciated. Mark, I'll be looking for those pics. Clark

There are several adjustments for the clutch/brake group. Do you know if it's properly adjusted? It might be worth a check before going to the trouble of replacing the brake lining.

sorry it took me longer than I thought. Had to find the thing in the mess I call a garage... I hope the pictures help!

Mark, Thanks for the pics. Hopefully they will help me out. I'll post pics of the bar I make, when I get it done. Thanks again everyone for your info. I'll also work on adjusting the brakes if I can figure out how. Clark

If you don't have the manual, I have the Simplicity 5010 (Same thing as your tractor again) one that I can E-mail to you. It has a section about brakes and troubleshooting.

Either of these manuals will show you how to adjust your brakes, although I think the Allis manual is better: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_2944_00_BM_SMA.pdf http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3497_00_LT_A.pdf