Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine shipping options ?

B.Ikard

Gents, I plan on selling a 14hp Kohler in the near future. I will probably Ebay it and wanted to get a few suggestions on shipping. I know it is a pain to ship these cast iron engines but I am tired of tripping over this one and it has < 20 hours on a complete overhaul. It will make someone a very good engine for a simp/allis. I am thinking wood crate or at least frame for protection. UPS tends to drop things in my travels. Any ideas, suggestions, or experiences would be appreciated, Brent

Crate it. However, put 1 inch hard board foam insulation on all sides, top and bottom. Also, leave no voids so it cannot move - use airbags or peanuts, not paper. and make sure it's dry no oil gas or any other liquid left in it and wrap it in plastic - seal it with shipping tape - not duct tape. When you ship - insure it and ask for "additional handling"

We ship them in crates bolt the engine down to pallet a peice of 1/2 plywood with the holes for the crank shaft (if vertical) 2x4 legs on the pallet then thick 1/2 inch cardboard box nail gunned with staples to the base of the pallet ((Looks like box with pallet at the bottom when done)) the engine is bolted to the pallet so it wont move. on the very bottom of package add 1/4 plywood to 2x4 legs to protect shaft. add shipping, hazmat information,and lifting decals.

Call for some rates to get an idea. DHL also some good rates I have been told. The bad thing is you don't know where it's going so you have to be careful with wording.

Hazmat is a warning symbol for equipment that may leak if broken the engine had oil in it more then likely so if it were to be tipped upside down it could leak. not that it will but could. Hazmat is for many reasons but it gives the handlers a heads up when moving the package :IE. Film, combustibles, toxins, explosives ,breakable ,and many more.

I would weigh it after crating to determine who would ship in the first place. Most every delivery service has a limit and I believe an engine in crate would far exceed most. May have to truck ship. Try selling first as a "pickup only" sale then if you have to relist it with shipping.

FedEx Ground rocks in my opinion, but I'm not sure of their max weight. Check the rates, think you will be surprised. I shipped a 48" sears plow two year's ago from GR to NY in two seperate packages. I don't remember the exact weight, but must have been 100 lbs combined for $58.00. I recently received a Rock Auto order from the MidWest to East. 4 struts, a water pump, and few misc. items.... 38lbs @ 8.60 shipping. Greg

Suggestion on the Hazmat designation. If the unit is bone dry, and I mean bone dry, and not a trace of gas fumes, only include an MSD ( Material Safety Data sheet) from the oil manufacturer which is easy to find on-line. Confirm with the shipper that the MSD satisfies their requirements. A HazMat shipment can turn into a shipping cost "Big Red Flag". Trace amounts of oil packing / preservation is not a big concern in most cases. Greg

For tipping tell tale, see you can obtain some tipping indicators. Basically an up arrow with beads inside that sticks on the side of the box. Maybe the shipper has them. Forward Air comes to mind based on suggestions about shipping car engines and transmissions. Greyhound comes to mind also. Seems weird, don't it?

if its a whole cast iron motor it will have to go truck unless its in pieces,,forward air trucking is best for this.Bolted on a small skid with a plywood box built around it is best.

I won a briggs model 19 (old 7.25hp cast iron engine) on ebay and it shipped from Janeville, WI to Rhode Island fedex ground for $36.??. If I were you, I'd pack it up and shop around a little. Good luck!

I sold a Kohler 16 on eBay and shipped it UPS Ground with no problems. I fastened it to a piece of 3/4 plywood just slightly larger than the motor itself. This was then attached to a pallet shaped base about 40% larger than the plywood base to prevent tipping. I then wrapped the motor in about 10-12 layers of high density bubble wrap I obtained from a local manufacturing facility. The motor arrived safe with no problems... (Wish I had it back....)