Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Remove and check starter Allis 720

dougpat_2000

Hi doug here I just bought a new to me Allis 720, after starting it about a half dozen times the starter quit. It's not the clutch switch, it's not the switch on the foward reverse selector. I began to start it and it started to turn over then just stopped turning now it makes no sound but the amperage gage dwaws lower if i continue to hold switch in start position. I believe the starter is bad but before i dismantle the tractor I thought I would do the unmanly thing an ask for some directions. Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks Doug

Good news, bad news. Good news is the starter comes off the engine with two or three bolts. Bad news is you have pull the engine to get to it. Not too hard a job. Make sure you test your ign switch and connections first. Bill's Top 10 tips: 1. Use a ratchet strap to hold the clutch/Brake pedal disengaged 2. Dismount the oil cooler and move it out of the way, no need to disconnect it. 3. Take the hood off, just makes for more room 4. Note your fuel and carb connections 5. Use a lift, the engine is 100# plus(ask my back) 6. Since you have the engine out, take the tins off and clean out all the grass, mouse nests, grease 7. Clean the frame area. 8. Have the starter tested at a shop, they may be able to rebuild it, but it is probably cheaper to get a new one(there are some aftermarkets out there) Onan Part 1949-03 9. If the drive belts are questionable, replace them while the engine is out 10. Practice patience, cussing and tool throwing not encouraged, but may be required.:D Not an all inclusive list, but a few good tips. Good luck with it.

I like the idea of just tapping it with a screwdriver and a hammer but I believe I'll opt for pulling the engine and removing the starter to have it rebuilt. If that don't work I'll take a real big hammer to it LOL. Thanks guys for the input. Doug

A common problem that occurs on these tractors is the wiring gets old and the safety interlock switches get worn and take most of the voltage to just pass through the wiring to get to the starter. The reduction in voltage will not trigger the solenoid on the starter and it will give you a condition like this. It may be a worn starter but I would recommend adding a relay to control the starter engagement voltage anyway. Al Eden has a kit for this or you can use a 40 amp relay and do the same thing. The trick is to wire the relay into the starter circuit and use the key circuit to trigger the low amp relay. Then the relay can switch the starter and supply a better voltage thereby solidly engaging the solenoid.