Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Answers to Dual Wheel Questions

sammym

I have some info on the dual wheels that I thought that you guys might be interested in. I have a set of Original Wheel Adapters on my restored Simplicity 700.

From my research, there were two different wheel adapters that are different widths. I'm not sure that the ones on my 700 are the correct width for the 6 x 12 tires. In the 1960 Original Simplicity sales brochure, the duals appear to be closer together.

Between the flanges on my adapters, the spacing is 6 inches. The studs have 3/4" of thread (length) on each end, while the hex part of the stud is 1 1/4". The holes on the outermost flange are threaded to accept the original lug bolts. Hope this helps.

P.S. If anyone has any adapters with different widths (between the flanges), please contact me.
Click image to view larger version

Sammy, Thanks for the information. It was just what I was looking for. As I aquired some adapters but no hardware. This is what makes all of Kent's hard work worth while. Thanks again for the post. Jeff P.S. Sure would like to see pictures of your restored 700.

Sammy, Thanks for the information. It has been a long time coming and something that has been discussed alot. If anyone has the money I know Wheel Horse tractors still sell these adaptors for their tractors which will fit ours. My brother had bought a pair at the same time he bought his Wheel Horse but I don't know how much he paid for them "but" somewhere around $85. bucks kinda rings a bell. So even if someone has the spacers but not the hardware you might check out "well" you know the red horse dealerships. Thanks again, >>->happyjack<-<< P.S. Nice pictures also, I always print ones like these for future reference.

Sammy, I think the reason you have the gap between the tires is that you're running 6" wide wheels, not 8" ones. I think, but I'm not sure that the 700 and 725's came with 6" wheels (like the walking tractors) but the later ones were 8" even later 10" on the Sovereigns.... Compare yours with the 700 with turf tires in this pic... Kent http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1959/700_sickle_pg2.jpg

This was a great post! I have a few of the old B models (B-10, B-110, etc.) so I bought a set of old adaptors from Sandy Lake - about the same price as your Wheel Horse adaptors, Happy Jack (wish I knew). Anyway, my old Goodyear 6x12 tires and rims are slightly shorter (smaller diameter) than the 23x8.5x12. Therefore, the 8.5 tires will ride on the ground with the 6x12 suspended. In addition, the adaptors that I got were supposed to have come off of a 725, which I think came w/ 6x12. Using 6x12 all across, it leaves very large gaps between the tires as in the piture of the 725 w/ ag tires. Does anyone know if there was a narrow tire, like the 6x12 that has the same diameter as the 23x8.5x12? Otherwise, I will raid my old '64 Landlord of its 8x12 tires and rims, as those seem to have the same diameter/height as the 6x12 that I have. Final question (which ties to above)- When the B-10 and B-110's were new, and loaders were installed, duals were often installed with them. What size were the duals and if narrower, were they installed on the inside or outside? I have seen some Simplicity photos w/ sickle bar and running narrow on outside. Just looking for more info!! Thanks for a great site!! Colinb

I like the looks of the 6" wheels with the ag tires The narrow tires and space between them looks as if it would be great in mud, and the added width will provide stability on side hills. How do I go about doing dual wheels on a B12 ? Can I get new wheels with the right bolt pattern and offset or do I need to find a set of used B12 wheels ? David

Colinb, Would you measure your wheel adapters between the flanges and let me know the distance? Mine are six inches between the flanges. I originally thought there might have been a set of wheel adapters for 6.5x12 tires and a different length adapter for 8.5x12 tires but after looking through some Simplicity sales brochures I only found two different part numbers for dual wheel kits. Mfg.#990213 comes with Chevron tires (these are ag type tires) and Mfg.#990286 (Suburban tires which I think are like the original tires that came on the 1964 Landlord 9 hp Mfg.#990314). All of these dual wheel kits come with 6x12 inch tires and rims so on all the tractors that had 8.5x12 tires the 6x12 tires were used on the outside according to all the pictures in the Simplicity sales brochures I checked out. Kent, I was judging the gap between my dual wheels by the picture you posted in which the tires were closer together than mine but after everyone's imput, I think it is probably because the ag tires don't spread out as fat as the original tires shown in the photo that you posted. Also all the 700's and 725's came with 6.5x12 tires. Thanks for all your hard work on this web site. It made it easier to restore my 700 closer to original condition. Sammy P.S. Thanks for everyone's imput on this post.

David, Just an update! - Sammy - correct me if I'm wrong, but the adaptors that Sammy has should work on your B12, but I presume you are running Goodyear 23x8.5x12 tires. To make this work, you need a set of the narrower rims, which are very common on 6x12 tires and (here's the tricky part...a pair of 6.5x12 tires to match. I have never seen any 6.5 tires to match the Goodyears. If you do this, when scrounging around for your narrower rims, watch for the side of the rim that has the tire valve. I'm not sure which way it should face for the correct A/C Simplicity dual wheels, but I think that it should be on the outside as it would be tough to add air with it facing the other rim! Good luck Colin

Colin, Not sure that the dual wheel adapters will accept two 8.5x12 tires and wheels. So I would say you are correct. On all the Simplicity and A.C. rear wheels I have seen the valve stems were on the inside. Some of the Sears Suburban tractors and IH tractors have the valve stem on the outside of the wheel.

Jack here, I have seen some people run narrower wheels and tires on the inside pair of duels and wider ones on the outside and this does fill in the gap to some degree. I don't know if its because the wider ones were easier to find or just maybe they happened to have them what the reason is. But those picture with the v-tread are about the narrowest that I have ever seen on a garden tractor but they sure would bite really good. They do look like 6" wheels to me but I also don't know what size those 700 and the 725 came with. Just some food for thought. >>->happyjack<-<<

Hi Sam, I have a 700 and 725 with the 700 having duals. Mu adapter is 5 3/4 inches outside flange to outside flange. It is 5 inches inside the flanges and one side is threaded and the other is not. Sounds like what you have already?? Also it looks like there 2 kits , one for chevron tires and one for suburban. What if you didn't use the lug adapters and just bolted the large adapter to the inside wheel, that would tighten the gap? Ken Williams

I don't want to rain on everone's parade....I think these dually's aer great looking and certainly aer effective for traction and balance when working however stress on the axle tubes is excessive......... we sold original sets of these to 4 different customers.....all four of them were back in short order less than 3 years(non commercial) for axle tube rebuilds....I disuade folks from using for anything but shows and looks...... We are not engineers by trade, however we think the torque on the extended lengths are too great.....

Looks like you can run at least one 8.50 tire on a set of duals. It's certainly difficult to tell from this picture, but it certainly looks like the outside tire is wider than the inside one... Is this one 8" and one 10" wheel, or one 6" and one 8" wheel on each side? http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/L10_loader.jpg

Kent The best I can tell there was not a dual wheel kit for 10.5 inch tires. The picture of the Allis has 6 inch tires on the inside, 8.5's on the outside. All the dual wheel kits come with 6 inch tires. The Simplicity sales brochures show the 6 inch on the outside and the 8.5 on the inside. Sammy