Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Reverse Gear Question and Illustration

grnlark

I've figured out why reverse doesn't work on the 57 Wonderboy. There is one gear that pivots with the gear lever and controls forward and reverse depending which way the drive is spinning it. It appears that there must be a missing ring clip of some sort that would hold the pivot gear on the shaft and in place. With the clip missing, the gear rides to the end of the shaft making forward still barely catch, but not making contact for reverse. The arrow (pic 2 below) shows the groove where I believe there should be some sort of spring clip to hold the gear on the shaft. Does anyone know exactly what should be here to hold the gear from traveling side to side on the shaft? Thanks

Yes the gear is hold on with a spring, but there a washer in between the gear and spring clip. For shifting into reverse there shoukd a lever on the other side of the frame which goes behind the drive pulley that rotates the small gear on the bottom counter clockwise.

quote:
Originally posted by duckman
Never mind the parts list, :D have you checked sludge in the bottom of the gear box there?
sm06Funny you mention that. I was just saying to my brother this morning on the phone that the ring clip might be sitting in the sludge at the bottom of the pan. sm06 I popped the cover off last night in a dark corner of my garage with a flashlight, so I didn't do a very detailed inpsection. I have to look at it later today. It was pouring last night, and cold, so I didn't really feel like farting around out there. I'll keep you posted.

quote:
Originally posted by ambler
Have you checked the parts list?
I don't have a parts list - can't seem to find one. Got any leads?

This is for the Clinton engine models 1957. The briggs models 450 and 575 are different. The retaining ring/circlip should be available at any good parts store. [img]/club2/attach/UCD/WonderBoyTransmission.JPG[/img]

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
This is for the Clinton engine models 1957. The briggs models 450 and 575 are different.
Maynard, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!! Thanks a lot! dOd

For $0.73, I've fixed reverse! God bless America! :D I did find the original washer and locking ring in the sludge! sm06 (see pic below). Regardless, I felt more confident (from a longevity standpoint) in using my new stainless washer and snapping E ring. I may go back to the original washer, but not the original snap ring. I know the grease is bad. For now (and I mean for like the next week) I just added some new grease to get all systems up and running. It's all going to get totally torn down in a few weeks. A sincere thank you to all of you that assisted me with this!!!! dOd

quote:
Originally posted by bud119195
You can still download a manual from simplicity .I just downloaded one for my 1957 wonderboy.
Really? Where did you find that?