Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Disassembling an Arbor ???

MikeH

I am currently in the process of replacing the bearings from my 42" deck (mfr #407). I was wondering what is the easiest procedure for removing the arbor shafts from the assembly? I have the pulleys off each arbor and tried to "knock" the shaft out with a hammer (hitting the nut which is threaded shaft). However, these things are not moving. Is there anything I need to do differently. Thanks for your help. Mike

Mike, Sounds like your shafts have worn into the bearings or vise-a-versa which then the shat is caught on the bearings. I've see this happen. They should just about fall out once the pulley and woodruff key is removed. Good luck! Just my thoughts. Jeff

Mike, If you have access to a hydraulic press,that would be the easiest way. Then you could disassemble them nice and slow.When you start putting them together,you can watch that everything goes together perfect.IMO, this is the easy street!!!Good Luck---John

Mike, You said you had the pulleys off, but you didn't say whether or not you had the blades & housings removed. The arbor shafts have shoulders, so you MUST remove (separate) the upper & lower housings from the deck before the shafts can be removed. After the housing bolts are removed, the shafts should pull right out. At the most, you will have to tap them with a wooden or plastic mallet. Lacking the "proper" tools, when I replaced the bearings on my deck, I used a 1/2" drive socket the same size of the inner race to knock them out, and a socket the same size of the outer race to seat the new bearings in.

If you are talking about the old mowers that bolt together it is best to take the hubs out of the mower deck.Take off the nuts and put it in a press (using the proper plate)as not to damage the pulley.And simply press it out.I just put a shaft together today.I had to weld some new plates on the deck.What's with these things after 40 years you have to fix these things.Hope to have it back together soon and get a good mow job this summer.Bob

Thanks for the replies guys. I do have the main drive pulley off the arbor, but my problem is driving the shaft out of the lower belt pulleys. I have each arbor dissasembled from the deck. These arbors are the one piece setup. I do not have access to a hydraulic press, but will try heating the shaft and pulley and using a puller. Hopefully this will work. Thanks again Mike

You really should find a friend with a press.....the heat and puller routine is looking for trouble to happen....I hope you have success

If you have cast iron pulleys make sure the set screws are loosened or removed in addition to the retaining nut on top of the pulley. The set screws are in the bottom of the v-groove for the belt. Roy

Before you can take the arbors apart, the nuts, pulleys AND keyways that hold them on MUST be removed first.After that is accomplished,a press does work best for the rest of the dis-assembly.