Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deutz-Allis 1920

acfarmer

Hi,acfarmer, I am just across the mountain from you!{in Mcgaheysville} I just bought my Sunstar {same as your DA 1920} It is a good machine. I am in the process of restoring mine. They are built heavy, but I can tell you, a lot of parts are no longer available. I guess it all depends on the condition it is in, and what you want to do with it. How many hours are on it, and how much are they asking for it?

i am also looking at one for a freind and would like to get a few more details then what the site has. the engines in the 1920 was it a good engine or was it one of kohler's bad ones?

All of the Sunstar/1920's had the Kohler Magnum 20 series. The only exception to this is for the 1997 {and last} model year. They had the Kohler Command engine. The Magnums were very good engines, however, they are no longer made and repairs can be quite expensive.

I believe it was the KT Series I, lubrication problems that were corrected in Series II. Biased of course, but seriously you will be hard pressed to find a similar sized tractor with all the features of a Ultima 1920.I will NEVER part with mine.
quote:
Originally posted by dirtmister16
thank you what was the engine that i always hear is bad from kohler

Nubian is right. The KT Series I, had a very bad reputation. These were used in all the JD 317's except for the last year, when they came out with the Series II.

Being a advad fan of the older tractors. (Simplicity and Allis of course.) I finally bought a new one (new for me) and got a Sunstar 20 horse. So far as grass cutting goes it is a joy to use. The big test will come this winter when I blow snow with it. But so far its been a real pleasure to work with. Hope you enjoy yours.

I just bought my third DA 1920 Ultima on ebay last month. This one has the hydro ports on the front for power blade or bucket loader. It also has the rear PTO. Engine runs great. I think I stole it at $800. Bought my second one with blown motor but very clean for $640 just to have a spare machine for parts..go figure a year later a perfectly running one with all the bells for $800. Anyway from the same guy I also bought the rear pto leaf vac and cart for about $400 and the snow blade for $300 . The Sunstars in red seem to bring more money than the Deutz green. It's the same machine but red is favored around here. Someone once told me the Ultima was targeted to the Agriculture industry and perhaps used some more heavy duty parts perhaps someone could chime in on that rumor. Anyway great machine I am finally set with my newest Ultima and will most likely be selling one on ebay or here soon. I also hear everyone saying these motors are no longer made but I recall finding them on the Internet last year, hard to find. And of course there is the Honda replacement engine. Search Sunstar in the home garden section of ebay.. Buy it, You wont be disappointed . Mark

I've got both a 14 hp Ultima and a 20 hp Sunstar. As far as I can tell, there's no difference in how they are built. The Ultimas were marketed through Deutz-Allis dealerships, thus no doubt more of them went to farms than Simplicity models. Of course, most farmers find lawn work more of a necessary evil chore than suburbanites and most farm lawns that I've ever mowed or seen are rough - so the Ultimas may have taken a bit more of a beating than their orange brothers. I doubt, however, that this is the reason for the difference in value. The Deutz Allis name and lime green color just never was fully accepted by Americans. That's why when AGCO bought the company from the Germans, they immediately began painting everything orange again. People are funny this way - exact same piece of equipment, painted the wrong color, and people will turn their nose up at it. It works out well for those of us that know there's no difference and are willing to overlook the color - we just get better deals! :)

They came with both Magnum and Command engines as well as some Vanguard engines. Depending on the year and model. The only con I'm aware of is that I don't have a couple more of them.:D

The '87-'96 models came with the Magnum engines. Only the '97 model came with the Command engine. I have never seen or heard of one that came with a Vanguard engine. If one has a Vanguard, maybe it was re-powered?

Carl. Do you know which model numbers may have came with the Briggs? My parts manual does not show it, but it is an early model one. Always willing to learn!

Hi They are a great tractor! I would not hesitate at buying one. Very well built and heavy duty as well. Mine is a 1996 Agco Allis 1920H with the Kohler Command engine in it. She just rolled over the 1100hr mark a few days ago. I bought mine 5 years ago now and just love it. I have since also added a John Deere 455 AWS Diesel to my lawn care operation( I am not a fan of zero turns & since Simplicity does not offer All Wheel Steering on the Legacy) I went green. None the less, I could not and will not sell my 1920H. They are a tough built tractor! The JD does the grass cutting primarly, but the 1920H gets the heavy duty jobs, such as snow removal and running the powered bagger. I can climb hills with a 26 to 30% slope with no problem and she just hangs in there. You will love it! Only problem you might face is that you will love it too much that you will want a second. I almost bought a second 1920 this spring and was going to convert it to AWS but it got to expensive and complcated. Take Care Jason B

Mfg #'s 1692521, 1692523, and 1692525 used 18 HP Briggs engines. I believe the 2521 was Simplicity 1918, 2523 was Agco Allis 1918H, and 2525 was MF 2918H.

Thanks. Mine is a 1691018, which was made in 1986. The parts manual for it shows only the Kohlers for all models. Going by the model #'s, they must have started using the Briggs engines a few years later. Thanks for the info!

Hi Yep, they did not start using Briggs in the 18hp version of the SunStar until the early 1990's. It was after DA was bought out by Agco & the Agco Allis 1920H & 1918H were released, along with the MF versions 2918 & 2920. Take Care Jason B Heres my 1920H:

The 1995 - 1997 18hp Simplicity SunStar MFG# 1692521, 18hp Agco Allis 1918 MFG# 1692523 and the Massy 2918 MFG# 1692525 were Briggs & Stratton engines. The 1997 SunStar 18hp is a misprint it is a Briggs not a Tecumseh engine. These tractors Simplicity SunStar/GTH, Agco Allis 1900 series, Massy Ferguson 2900 series were all the same tractor just different color and MFG# all munfactured by Simplicity.

I'm in the middle of a complete restoration of my Sunstar. This is my first restoration, and it is a LOT of work! It takes a lot of research and good old fashioned elbow grease and time. I'm taking my time, so I hope to get it right. The more I take this thing apart, the more amazed I am at how well it is built! I had a '94 JD 425, and it was nowhere near as heavily built! I called Simplicity, and they said that mine was one of the earliest ones built in '86. The only bad thing so far is that there is nowhere that you can get the hood side panel decals for the early models, so I have to put the later model decals on. Now, if I can just figure out how to put it back together and find my shop again!:O

quote:
Originally posted by kevindb85
I'm in the middle of a complete restoration of my Sunstar. This is my first restoration, and it is a LOT of work! It takes a lot of research and good old fashioned elbow grease and time. I'm taking my time, so I hope to get it right. The more I take this thing apart, the more amazed I am at how well it is built! I had a '94 JD 425, and it was nowhere near as heavily built! I called Simplicity, and they said that mine was one of the earliest ones built in '86. The only bad thing so far is that there is nowhere that you can get the hood side panel decals for the early models, so I have to put the later model decals on. Now, if I can just figure out how to put it back together and find my shop again!:O Hi Yes they are a very well built tractor. I am amazed at what my 1920H can do! Can go through 1 foot deep heavy snow with my 2 stage Blower and she just laughs at it it. Does not bough down the engine at all. Are you upgrading the Magnam engine to a Command or just rebuilding it? I bought a Deere 455 Diesel this year, and have to say my Two choices for a replacement mower would either be another Sunstar or a Deere 455 or even a Legacy. Take Care Jason B

No need to rebuild the engine, it runs perfect. I just replaced the ignition, plugs, motor mounts, and filters. That's all it needed.