Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Would this work for a garden tractor?

MarksA-C

There is a guy in Buxton ND <Don Duffner> that has a few hookups like this. John Deere’s. He was in a lot of tractor pulls. Don still farms with them. http://www.toytractortimes.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?p=182616&sid=52ffd37c67f87fbdc13a46a2b4593dc3

Wayne, Don lives about 6 miles from me. If there's a way to get more power with the old 2 cylinder Deere's, he's tried it. He's had a few multiple tractor hookups and all are primarily for work rather than show. His "830 Special" is 2 830's with a newer Deere 4wd cab mounted. He eventually added a special hitch which allows a 3rd 830 to be added. The third tractor is easily attached or removed as needed. He farms roughly 2000 acres, and with the exception of, I believe a 4020, uses only the 2 cylinder Deeres, stock and in various stages of modification. Last I heard, he had over 50 tractors.

A friend of mine now deceased, did that with a couple of WD-45's way back when pictures were still primarily black and white.

Actually, when farmers began doing this, it was a much simpler (and dangerous) hookup. Only the rear tractor was modified, and only tractors with a hand clutch were used. The front axle was removed and replaced by a simple hitch. Linkages were made to control the throttle and clutch from in front of the grill. The rear tractor was hitched to the hitch of the front tractor, just like any other implement. The front tractor was operated in the normal fashion. The rear tractor pushed and followed. Seldom were two identical tractors hooked together. They used whatever they had. It was difficult to watch your implement while operating from the front tractor, so some farmers made linkages to operate the front tractor from the rear tractor. A long shaft with universal joints and a steering wheel allowed the front tractor to be steered from the rear tractor. Cable or rope linkages allowed them to operate the front tractor's clutch and throttle from the rear tractor. Eventually, a "safety device" was added. The clutch lever of each tractor was attached to the opposite tractor by a light chain that would disengage the clutches on both tractors in the event of a "break away".