Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Magnus_Forssell

GASOLINE - REGULAR OR PREMIUM

I'd have to disagree with happyjack on this one. Although there is a lot of heresay about ethanol, scientific data has proved that in nearly all circumstances, ethanol is fine for your autos, tractors, etc. I think I have read that it may go bad a little faster than low octane gas but you shouldn't use old gas anyway. On my older engines, I use a "lead-substitute" which is supposed to help combustion chamber and valve wear, etc. This may have more of an effect than your gas octane.

AGCO918
Hi Magus, Regular 87 octane gasoline is what is recommended and my opinion on the statement use a good grade of gas means just that. Make sure that your gas has not been setting around for 2-3 months or longer but to use fresh gas. Also try not to use gas with ethenhol "type O" on that word as it may harm some parts in the fuel system just as it can in a car. Although its getting harder to find any gas without it so we mostly have to take are chances. I good rule to go by is don't burn anything in your tractor that you won't burn in your car "except" if your car requires premium gas. Premium gas burns slower and can foul your spark spug and also cause excess heat in the combustion camber. Just like in cars its also spending money needlessly as in most cases your car engines are designed for 87 octane gas the same as your tractor or for that matter any small gas engine. I have a 2000 Broadmoor and it also states use 87 octane gas and a good grade of gas also. So things over the years have not changed in the gasoline dept. at all. As always others please correct or add to my reply. Best to all, >>->happyjack<-<<

Magnus_Forssell
In a specification for an old Simplicity it said; Fill with a good grade of regular gasoline. DO NOT use premium gasoline. Is this a general recommendation for all Simplicity tractors? Sincerely Magus Forssell

FiremanRon
At home I follow the manual and burn regular, but at the Fire Station, the Chief insists on premium. I haven't torn down the engines, but I don't notice any difference in their starting or running.

BradW
Happyjack, I agree and disagree with you..., This is coming from 2 mechanics and some websites and magizines on cars, Premium gas is designed for performance engines which run at higher rpm's (revolutions per minute) and they run hotter, premium being 93 octane (can be higher or lower in octane depending on elevation of town or parts of the united states or country) The higher the octane the cooler the gas burns in the combustion chamber, this in turn can foul out spark plugs from having burned at cooler temp, this in turn may cause rough running or poorer starting when cold outside, this is why if in the 1930's-1960's farmers who had farm tractors that ran on low cost fuel which would be kereosene or distlate (distlate is a low quality fuel with low octane) they had to use shutters on their radiators to run the engines hot to burn the fuel completely so the plugs wouldn't foul out and the engines stalling, low octane burned cool and high octane burned cool, they found that for basic engines to run their best fuel with an octane rating of between 80-89 was the best, sorry for the long, boring explanation, but it was the only way I could explain it. Good luck, -BradW

DoubleT
According to the many posts on the subject in newsgroup "rec.auto.makers.vw.aircooled", it appears to be the general concensus that if over 8.5-1 compression, then run premium. Under that will burn regular ok. So then that leaves figuring your comprssion ratio... Sorry. I forgot what I read about doing that. If your engine is stock, perhaps you can find it in one of your books under engine specs.

dlcentral
With 6 or 6.5:1 compression ratio on these engs. a good grade of 87 octane should be all that's needed.You can waste your money if you want to on premium, because that's all you'll be doing.IMHO of course.