Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My kind of snowblower

richp

Here is another one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfXz02L5U4k I call the old Detroit’s fuel converters B) They converted fuel to noise.:Dsm06

Hey Rich! You're right-- there's nothing like the sound of a Detroit Diesel working. A friend of mine had a 238 years ago in a Ford N-model with a short Riker muffler on it. .70 injectors of course, hauling steel and the way he drove it coupled with the sound of the exhaust no one had any doubt who was coming. I always thought that getting the right sound and performance? out of those lay solely on the guy who knew how to run one! Regards, Dave

When I was like 13 years old, I worked for this guy loading firewood onto trucks. The owner would bring the tree limbs to the landing with a Tree Farmer log skidder with a 371 Detroit. You could hear it coming for miles away. I've loved the sound of them ever since.

My friend has a terex pan scraper with front and rear detroit 6v71's. That thing ran wide open most of the day. We did a big pond job and you had to wear ear plugs and earphones. What a cool sound, though.

Tree Farmers never used 3-71's as they were too heavy and bulky for their HP. 3-53's were the were lighter and less expensive, what more you could run them up to 2800 RPM. They also had a two lobed blower verus the 71's three lobed blower. Most of the time if properly silenced you would hear the blower first.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
Bob, what is the difference in the number between 3-53 vs. 3-71? I know the 3 is 3 cylinder, but what is the 53/71 stand for?
Rich - it has to do with nominal displacement per cyliner. 53's were 53 CID per cylinder. This was the same for the 51's, 71's, 92's 110's and 149's. There were some parts that were marked 53/71 that were used in both engines.