Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Questions

Mike

Here she is boy's, I am the first official owner of this tractor. I think it's a 1999 and only has about 10 minutes on the motor all of which I put on.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-102_8643.jpg[/img]
My first question is ? Warranty? I am the first owner of record and bought it from the estate of a simplicity dealer and have the original warranty registration papers.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-102_8644.jpg[/img]
Second question, Do I use it or store it till it's vintage? As you can see from the pictures there is a black grease mark om the deck. It's the only blemish on the tractor. I will even get to wax under the deck.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-102_8642.jpg[/img]
Also any thoughts on what to do with this first other than change all fluids, before any real use. Also curious about engine breakin in this fragile 18 hp twin. Thanks, Mike The only thing missing from this tractor are the 2 outboard rollers from the deck. Even the discharge chute is there in pristine condition.

Contact Briggs and Stratton or a local Simplicity dealer to check on the warranty. I think you will be hard pressed to get them to honor a warranty with a tractor that's not "new" regardless of weather or not you are the official first owner. Secondly...If I owned it now. It would find a place in a controlled climate storage facility. Just my opinion on it. Great find!

Dealer members like Al Eden should be able to advise you regarding the engine and how to make it live longer. If you give a Kohler dealer the engine model and serial number maybe they can tell you if it is a later model with the hardened timing gears and better cam hardening on the fuel pump lobe. If it were mine, having experienced OHC engine failure in my Sovereign, I would immediately remove the fuel pump activation arm (to eliminate the forces on the polymer valve cover and subsequent oil leak) and install an electric fuel pump. Would also install some sort of screen across the bottom of the frame to minimize the amount of crud sucked into the engine cooling system. Above all, make sure there aren't any valve cover leaks and keep the cooling fins clean.

So many questions, so little time. I'll try this one.. "Use it or store it 'till it's vintage?". Why did you buy it? To use or to store? If it's about the money, these vintage tractors don't bring much, if they are used. Check eBay results. Even the highly prized 75th Anniversary Edition often goes for less than 2 grand, if used at all. And, sometimes even brandy-new, never used examples, don't even sniff 2 grand. If you need it to do chores, I can't think of a more versatile tool. Congrats on the new (and I mean "New") acquisition. She's a beaut. Enjoy! Tacey

I was kidding about hiding it away, I'm not in a big hurry to put it into service yet though, it is so unbeliveably clean I'm scared to get a mark on it, kind of like a new car I suppose. However when the k341 in the 916 gives out she'll be ready to step in. I have a brand new set of ags on on brand new grey rims that are going on tonite.

Nice tractor, even has power steering! I wish my Dad would have bought a new Sovereign back in 2000 instead of his craftsman, we didn't really know about Simplicity then:(

The secret place that I found this tractor in also has 2 75th Anniversary Tractors,, one of which has serial number 1 or 2, my source couldn't remember.

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
The secret place that I found this tractor in also has 2 75th Anniversary Tractors,, one of which has serial number 1 or 2, my source couldn't remember.
What are they worth? Tacey

Sweet tractor. It would be a sin not to put it to use, like being married to Pamela Anderson and never getting to ... you know what I'm saying. Have fun.

Its.....So.....BEAUTIFUL! :drl I would keep it and use it for light duty jobs like hauling a trailer or even better........TRACTOR SHOWS!

I don't think any of us collect these things to fix up and make a profit i think we do this to have a piece of history. i think we should all use our equipment as they were meant to be used . TO WORK and then fix them up again to use for more work i would love to be able to pass these down to my sons and then him to his and so on and so forth . i bet the makers of this equipment didn't think there equipment would work so long and so well and . (just a thought )

I spoke too soon........the deck adjusters are also missing....Oh wellI guess I can live with that, thak goodness for spare decks......

As suggested, check with a current dealer, or with Simplicity. Even though it was not registered, it sounds like you did not buy it from an operating Simplicity dealership. That could be the sticking point. However, it would be true that say you bought this from a dealer, and it had been sitting unsold and unused since 1999, it would still have the factory warranty on it. I knew of a dealer in eastern MI that passed from father to son a few years back, and the son decided to pretty much empty the parts bins and warehouse to do a thorough inventory. He found a new in the crate late 1950's walking tractor! Dad forgot about it for 40 years!. The Simplicity rep acknowledged it would still have the warranty, although by now there were very little if any replacement parts still available new. Great tractor though, just keep the oil up, and the cooling fins clean. Tim