Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RE: new here

To all that replied, thanks. I found a used bevel box, so thats taken care of. I also found the page with the wiring diagrams. I still need to find out if I can use any voltage regulator, I don't see why not. I often use regulators from Volkswagons on old Italian motorcycles, so a chevy or ford one should work on my B12. Some one mentioned that I shouldn't use my electric winch on the B12 because it will over tax the battery. The machine that the winch I have is designed for has about 1/3 the size battery (ATV) so I am not worried about it. I am going to make a mount for the 3 point and use a quick dissconect on the power cable. I may also build an anchor that will swing down and dig in so I don't drag the tractor backwards. What is the best tool to use for clearing out brush with a tractor ? Has anyone ever built a front mounted blade kind of like what a DR mower has ? Dosn't look like it would be too hard. With some cutting and welding I think it would be possible to use a deck from a riding mower mounted on the front. I would cut it so the tips of the blades would stick out and add a bar to push the brush down Just thinking. David

Al & others, please correct me if I'm wrong.... But, I think you need a special voltage regulator for the starter/generator system. Since it works both as a starter motor and a generator, I don't think you can use a voltage regulator off a car, for example, without risking damage to your charging system. As far as front-mounted brush cutters, check out the ones that Simplicity used to offer. They were discontinued because of the dangers....

David, I made a front mounted brush cutter from a mower deck. I converted the straight grass blade to use hammers. The factory deck metal wasn't heavy enough for brush cutting, so I made a heavy deck with chain guards and it works fine. But, Kent is right, it is dangerous.

hi david i had a photo of a weed cutter another club member sent me awhile back it is the front mounted one kent was talking about - it is one of only a couple pictures i have seen of this item - here are a few comments he sent me about it -" It has 4, 12 1/4 blades. They overlap each other by an 1" or 2. Looking from the front, the right side cuts at 4 1/2" from the ground, each one an 1" higher, the left one 7 1/2" high. It will mount on any AC B-Series tractor or the Sim. equal. It works great on tall grass and small saplings.I also have a sickle bar, and would part with that before the weed cutter.It works great." -hope this helps- p.s. - dutch could you take a couple photos and post them along with some more info on the measurements and how you made the front mower - i have been thinking of doing the same thing - i also found a front mounted sickle mower for a walking tractor i thought of buying and modifying to fit the front of my b-10 - not sure which i will end up doing http://www.geocities.com/schaefer72/weed_cutter_picture.bmp

I have a bush hog like what is pictured, I would'nt trade it for anything. The 2210 that I use it on has had a farm tractor voltage regulator on it from Fleet Farm since 1990. It has a Interstate battery in it since 1993. This tractor has lights and no problems charging while blowing snow. Although thats all fine and dandy, I don't think the generator would handle what the winch needs. I think they only max out at 10amps.You need to find out how many amps the winch draws under load otherwise the generator will be working overtime.