Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
tacomac

crank case filled with gas

tacomac
I have a massey tractor with a 17 hp onen engine, I plowed with it three weeks ago and it ran fine.Today I put the snow plow on and the crankcase is filled with gas. It would not start so I poured gas in the carb. and it started and was gushing gas and oil out the top of the carburater. Would a stuck float cause this problem? any help greatly appreciated.

Ronald Hribar
Same thing happens to me with my 7117 with Kohler 17 hp KT series 2 and my 20hp magnum. put a fuel shut off in the gasline and USE IT !!! drain oil put new oil in do not run with gas/oil mix

dirtsaver
Hi Earl! As Ron says,never run an engine with a crankcase full of gas. If it does not catch fire,it will wash all the lubrication from the engine and destroy it. The problem likely lies in the float,and you can rebuild the carb but that does not garrentee a cure. Take Rons advice and install and use the inline fuel shutoff. One tip,install the shutoff between the tank and fuel filter. It makes it a lot easier to change the filter when needed. Larry

ghwrenchit
Tacomac, Check for a leaking fuel pump diaphragm. The fuel pump has a pulse line that runs to the crankcase to trigger the diaphragm movement. Even if it has a pinhole, gas can leak back and go into the crankcase. Greg

olcowhand
quote:
Originally posted by ghwrenchit
Tacomac, Check for a leaking fuel pump diaphragm. The fuel pump has a pulse line that runs to the crankcase to trigger the diaphragm movement. Even if it has a pinhole, gas can leak back and go into the crankcase. Greg
Yep, that's the common cause of fuel in crankcase on the Onan. The fuel tank is higher than carb, so still could be float/needle issue, but 9 of 10 times it's the fuel pump. 17hp though?? Don't know of a 17hp Onan. The BF's used on the 1655 are 16hp. Then they jump to the 18hp as used on the 1855.

tacomac
THANKS FOR THE HELP. I CHANGED THE OIL AND FILTER THAN PUT AN INLINE FUEL SHUTOFF IN, PUT ON THE LAWN SWEEPER AND IT RAN FINE SWEEPING UP PINE NEEDLES.THE TRACTOR IS A MASSEY 1855 SO IT IS AN 18 HORSE. I NOW HAVE THE 54 INCH BLADE ON WAITING FOR THE DEEP WHITE STUFF. THANKS AGAIN : EARL

Al
Hi, If the fuel pump diaphram is leaking, it will still get gas in the oil while running. When it is setting only gravity will push it through the diaphram and the shut off will stop that. When it is running there will be 2 or 3 lbs of pressure on the diaphram and it is stretched when it is pumping so the pinhole gets larger. Al Eden

ghwrenchit
Fix it right while you have the chance. Don't rely on the fuel shut off. The pump kit is $65.00 well spent. Ask my why I know... Dad's Sear's (roper) 16hp twin filled the crankcase twice. That onan is worth big $$ running, and a great (one of the best) motor's you can own!! Gas by nature is a great solvent, in the crankcase it will wreak havoc on the crank and rods bearings quickly. Don't wait.... fix it!!! You don't want to be looking for a transplant motor with 18" of snow on the ground. Greg

ghwrenchit
quote:
Originally posted by Ronald Hribar
Same thing happens to me with my 7117 with Kohler 17 hp KT series 2 and my 20hp magnum. put a fuel shut off in the gasline and USE IT !!! drain oil put new oil in do not run with gas/oil mix
Your fuel pump is bad too... except on the Magnum it's built into the valve cover. ( a great design might I add..sm02sm02) Just trying to help.... Greg

tacomac
I GOT A NEW FUEL PUMP FROM THE SNAPPER DEALER, COST $75.00. HE TELLS ME THAT MY TRACTOR IS OVER 30 YEARS OLD. I ASKED HIM ABOUT A PULLEY FOR THE 54 INCH MOWER DECK AND IT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE;DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE? IT IS THE SINGLE PULLEY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DECK, A FIBER PULLEY,SPLEENED ON THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. THANKS: EARL

olcowhand
quote:
Originally posted by tacomac
I GOT A NEW FUEL PUMP FROM THE SNAPPER DEALER, COST $75.00. HE TELLS ME THAT MY TRACTOR IS OVER 30 YEARS OLD. I ASKED HIM ABOUT A PULLEY FOR THE 54 INCH MOWER DECK AND IT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE;DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE? IT IS THE SINGLE PULLEY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE DECK, A FIBER PULLEY,SPLEENED ON THE INSIDE AND OUTSIDE. THANKS: EARL
The outside two pulleys are identical. I think they are the same pulleys as used on the deck of a Massey MF85. I'll hafta look, but I think I still have one good pulley left. Most I have already sold on ebay. I have others, but are worn out...teeth worn to a point. I'll try to take a look-see tomorrow & get back with you. BTW...when they were still available, these pulleys were around $75+ each!!! OUCH!