Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I am at a loss

joshuaareed

I am trying to come up with an inexpensive weight for the back of my 314 for snowplowing, and I am at a loss. I have an old odd shaped tractor weight that weighs 75 pounds, and I have about 80 pounds of free weights(weightlifting weights). I don't want to put too much weight on the sleeve hitch, because it is an electric lift. I was wondering if anyone had an ingenious idea to help me out.

You won`t beable to hurt the electric lift with 80 pounds of weight. They will lift the 300 pound 38 inch heavy duty tiller with out a problem.

Someone made a bracket that fits inside the rear wheels with a single post for mounting standard free weights. Can't find the post atm.

i would think a piece of flat stock bolted to the wheel studs(could use spacers if needed) and some pipe would make a good weight bar. that is if you want it on the wheels. just a thought

The weight is acting as a counter balance and will actually help the electric lift in raising the plow and the plow weight overcomes the counterweight when lowering the blade. Soome one here had a 12" weight bar plugged into the hitch and used the weight lifting collar to hold the round weights on.

Here's the rear weight on my 2110. It uses a battery that would just be sitting all winter. Has plenty of power, so the tractor always starts, even on the coldest days. It uses a welded together box, that unbolts from the tractor. A little unorthodox, but it works.....8D

mount your barbell weights onto a rod and put them into the lift mount as depicted in this photo http://www.simpletractors.com/images/b_attachments_images/rear_wght.jpg 60-70 pounds would be acceptable

Well I have solved my dilemma, I have used an old pair of handle bars for a mountain bicycle. I drilled a hole on the tube, and slid it into the sleeve hitch and put a pin in it. I then installed my weights on the handle bars. Kinda crude but it will. I thank all of you for your responses, they helped me a great deal. work.

Here is a picture of my "one of a kind" counterweight I use on my B-112 to counterbalance my snowblower or blade. My dad made it out of two flywheels, susposedly one from a Model A and the other from a Model T. I never weighed it, but I am guessing it is around 100#.

Glen

quote:
Originally posted by RedbarnRick
The weight is acting as a counter balance and will actually help the electric lift in raising the plow and the plow weight overcomes the counterweight when lowering the blade.
I don't believe that is the case with the 300 series tractors with electric lift. Front, center and rear attachments are all lifted at the same time. The 300 series tractors with manual lift do have the counter balancing effect. When the front attachment is lifted the center and rear attachments are lowered. See page 5 in this manual: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_1503_00_SV_A.pdf

Josh, Good think'in.... that looks like it will work great. Plus you won't be busting a n~t trying to take all the weight off and on at once.:D Greg