Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Reverse Problems!

cwlahr

I'm not sure, but are you sure the fluid level is correct? I just start with the simple stuff first. I hope you find the problem.

I have just the opposite problem. I have a 3212H and it surges going forward but reverse if fine. The fluid level is OK. When I try to go forward it surges really bad like it is not getting enough fluid but when I go in reverse everything is fine.

8 out of 10 times a hydro trans is cavitating (foaming) in the system. jack the tires off of the ground check the vent tube and run at 1200 rpm for a while so it will bleed the system. the other % of the time the spool valves are leaking and not allowing full pressure to be applied.

To elaborate more on this when the spool valves are worn they allow fluid to bypass them, make sure you use the proper fluids also (Peerless trans used 20/50 wt oil) some (EATON use 30 wt). Put the trans in forward slowly and reverse slowly with the wheels off the ground keep cycling back and forth the noise will go away with a little work out if there is water or other contaminants in the system empty as much as you can out and let drain and dry for at least 24 hours. refill and follow the same as above to bleed the system. hope this all helps good luck :o)

Ok, thanks Mark I'll have to check it out. I do know the fluid and filter was changed about 1 year ago, and the problem was happening then but not quite as bad. If the spool valves are worn, does that mean that a fluid change would not help? Thanks

Hi, This is a rather common problem in these units. It is usually caused by slack in the linkage. I would suspect the little link with the 2 ball joints in it is worn. Whats worse, I think they are NLA. Also check the wear in the pin joint at the rod and control lever. I have had to drill them out and put bigger pins in them. The hydro is normally stroked only about 1/3 as much in reverse as forward, to keep the reverse speed down, so any wear in the linkage really affects reverse much more than fwd, and the forward effect is not as noticeable. Juniors Lurching problem. I suspect the bolts in the bevel gear box are loose, or the bolts from the side plates going into the rear end. Usually this is caused by movement of the rear end due to the torque reaction from turning the wheels. The rear end moves and this strokes the hydro and it lurches. Very common on the later Sunstrand tractors. They are usually caused by the bolts through the side plates into the rear end being loose. Al Eden

Last night I took the fender/seat assembly off and started investigating the problem. Check the double ball joint linkage that Al mentioned and found there to be just a little play in it, other than that everything was ok. I then decided to try adjusting the main linkage turnbuckle and after a bunch of turns, presto, i have reverse again! Forward works fine also. The neutral position may be a little off on the speed selector, but I can care less. Now I can finish getting it ready for snow blowing. It will be the first time ever for me, I hope it works well. Thanks Again.