Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-110 Fastener questions

GWGAllisfan

Are the inserts that these thread into just ordinary 5/16 cage nuts? I'm trying to get all the parts together to re-assemble the B-110 and want to order everything in one shipment if I can. (Yes I know I'm dreaming and will be a regular at the hardware store before it's all over, but I have to try!:D) Thanks

Thanks for the info. however as i further dissasembled it I have a few more fastener questions: The 7/16x14x1.5” bolts the attach the frame to the BGB don’t have a grade listed in my parts book. Are these Grade 5 or should I use 8? The 7/16x20x1.5” fine thread bolts that attach solid steel block under the engine at the front of the tractor don’t have a grade listed either. Are these Grade 5 or should I use 8? I lean to 8 for these since they are under such load, but not sure. Also does anyone know a good source (And size) for the J-nuts that the grill mounting screws thread into

If the bolts have no markings, they are grade 2. If they have 3 dashes, they are grade 5. If they have 5 dashes, they are grade 8. Also, a lot of the mounting hardware is available through your dealer if you can't find it at the hardware store.

Randy, I go grade 8 on all my fastners if at all possible (the "best" grade). Tractor Supply has the best deal going-per lb.. Brent

Conversely, I prefer to use Grade 5. Their yield strength isn't as high as the Grade 8's but they more ductile and should have more than ample strength for our tractors. Kind of like Ford vs Chevy. Choose your poison and live with the results.