Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
bob1959

engine work

bob1959
I bought a 3210 that had been setting for 7-10 years. It had a mouse nest all thought it. I just want to get it running and see if has any problems. I really don't want to put much money in it as I am just going to sell it when I'm done. I have the sheet metal off and was going to remove the flywheel and was wondering if it is left hand threads. The other thing is to attach a puller looks a little difficult. The other problem is that it doesn't seem to be getting spark. I will spin the fly wheel with the motor out and I get no spark. If I'm not mistaken without the rest of the wiring harness from the tractor I still should have spark. I was wondering the easiest way to ck the mag. I can put a electrical tester on it if I knew where and what to look for. Thanks

John_RI
The technique I've used to pull the flywheel is to use a piece of bar stock against the end of the crank shaft that has 2 holes matching the 2 holes in the flywheel. Use some long bolts (or threaded rod) and slide them through the holes in the bar stock and pull the flywheel off against the end of the crank. Good luck-

UCD
Place a pry bar between the crankcase and flywheel and apply pressure to the flywheel. Place a block of hardwood on the end of the crankshaft or use a brass drift. Hit the block of wood or drift wwith a swift hard blow with a dead blow hammer while applying pressure with the bar. The flywheel should pop right off.

ehertzfeld
The threads on the crank, if I'm not mistaken, are regular threats. To get it off, the way Maynard said, is right out of the Briggs manual. A steering wheel puller works great too. You should have spark with the engine out of the tractor. All you need to have hooked up, is the wire going from the coil to the points. I would also check the wires, going into the point's cover, as well as the ones going through the fly wheel backer plate. If they are bare, they will ground out and give a no spark. Let us know what you find.

bob1959
I got the nut off the flywheel but didn't have a good enough puller. I am getting one today. I opened up the points and cked them put back together and turned the engine and got spark. I think that all of the connection just need cleaned. I may bid on the mag on ebay for the b-112. Mine has bare wires that the mice have chewed off.