Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me Deutz Allis 920 questions

PeppyDan

Here are a few pics of a tractor I purchased 2 weeks ago for $500. It is a 1985 Deutz Allis diesel and came with the power steering and ag tires(and what is left of a mower deck).

Now for the problem, I mowed with it today and it was running great for about a half hour, then it acted like someone just started to pull the fuel shut off until it died. I left it set for about 5-10 minutes and away we went again for about another 15-20 minutes. Again,5-10 minutes later it was back up and running for another 15-20 minutes started to die again so I quickly shut off the mower and kept it full throttle pulling the fuel shut off out and letting it back in(don't ask me how that helped but almost seemed like it did). I was somehow able to limp it 50 feet back to the workshop. About 15 minutes later I started it again and finished mowing. When I tried to idle it down once I parked it it just stalled. It needs all the hoses and filters changed from the looks of everything being very dry rotted so that will be the first thing I do. Should I go with the factory fuel and air filter or aftermarket? Is there anything else I should do to the fuel system while I'm changing all the hoses and filters? Thanks for any help! Dan

Start out with changing lines and filter element. If the hoses are that bad they could be sucking shut. Factory parts are always recommended, but I dare say that if a true poll was taken 80% by after market parts. Yours truly is guilty of that. The most important is fuel filter and that should be minus 5 microns.

Never seen a D/A version of the 920. I have the original Lombardini air filters on hand if you need one. Neat tractor wouldnt mind having it!!!!!

First remove the filter in the bottom of the tank. Then clean the tank and replace the fuel in the tank with new. There are microbes that grow in dirty diesel fuel and while running are sucked into the screen plugging it when the engine is shut off they float back into the fuel. Also there are no direct aftermarket air filters for the 790 Lombardini you can get one that will fit but is nowhere as thick.

This doesn't have anything to do with the fuel problem, but I've noticed the rear wheels stick out more on most of the diesel models. Is this because the rim has more offset, or is the axle different and if so why? Thanks. Chris

I believe that the 920 did have a wider axle? I have noticed that before too. I know a guy with a 920 that has broken the axle tube 3 times in the 25 years he has owned it. Says he never abuses it, but that's a lot of breakage. Make sure you keep that power steering greased at the sliding collar. Either all the parts are NLA, or they are so expensive that you would convert the tractor back to manual steering once the power parts wear out - I know a guy with a 7116 that has a very worn out system, and the steering is actually erratic because the collar will not slide easily - gets tilted and sticks sometimes. For the Ford car and truck guys out there, the power steering kit that was available for the 900/7100 tractors is a lot like what a Maverick or mid 1970's Ford 4wd truck used in terms of the slave cylinder with the sleeve type valve that was really lousy. Cool tractor though - can't be too many of those around in that Spring Green color! Tim

quote:
Originally posted by UCD
First remove the filter in the bottom of the tank. Then clean the tank and replace the fuel in the tank with new. There are microbes that grow in dirty diesel fuel and while running are sucked into the screen plugging it when the engine is shut off they float back into the fuel. Also there are no direct aftermarket air filters for the 790 Lombardini you can get one that will fit but is nowhere as thick.
Thanks for the info. My brother has something that can be added to the fuel to kill these microbes, but I will clean the filter and tank first. This tractor has been setting for a year or more so that is very possible. Chris, the diesels (920's & Simplicity 7790's)did come with a wider rear axle tube. I don't know the reason but they do look mean. Dan

Hi Nice 920! Too bad Simplicity did not offer a Diesel in the SunStars/Ultimas. Now that would be the only change I would have made. Take Care Jason B

• 2 months later...
BEAUTIFUL machine. Congratulation on the new tractor. It is almost as pretty as my Deutz Allis 1916 Ultima. Deutz Allis lover

Hey, I forgot to tell you I changed the turf tires or factory originals to the farm tractor tires. They have the same numbers but they are about 1-1 1/2 inch wider and usually only come in 6 ply. They are worth the extra inch or two that"stick out" from under the finders by giving so much more traction. Enjoy the new toy, Deutz Allis

Nice tractor, would you keep us posted on where you find the fuel lines? My 7790 has dry rotted fuel lines. One of them has a crimped metal band on it, looks like a regular screw hose clamp would do the job. I have been thinking about cutting the bands off and re-use the old fittings with new screw clamps and hose, if I can find the correct hose. I do not think these rubber hoses would not carry a lot of pressure. Stan

The rubber hose is before the injection pump and only needs to handle 7 - 10 psi. Any fuel hose rated for diesel fuel should work.

quote:
Originally posted by haykarenhardy
Nice tractor, would you keep us posted on where you find the fuel lines? My 7790 has dry rotted fuel lines. One of them has a crimped metal band on it, looks like a regular screw hose clamp would do the job. I have been thinking about cutting the bands off and re-use the old fittings with new screw clamps and hose, if I can find the correct hose. I do not think these rubber hoses would not carry a lot of pressure. Stan
I think CarlH has just given both of us the answer to the rotted lines, thanks Carl. Brenda at Sandy Lake Imp. said she can get most parts for these engines. Carl, did you ever get this same problem figured out on your tractor? Dan

Dan, Not fixed yet. I've got some ideas but not the time to work on that project right now. I also got another 7790 in December that runs fine after I changed starters but leaks all over. Another project ^ but no more time.