Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric clutch "installed pics"

ehertzfeld

Ok, here is the deal. I wanted to run a snow blower off the 3418 "Melanie's tractor". The twin 18 will not allow me to snake the mechanical clutch rod with the cylinders hanging out to the side. So I got a electric one. Now I have a room issue with the hood. The clutch I got, is 3 1/2 inches deep. Are all the electric clutches about the same? I can get it on, but would have to unbolt the engine, and tip it backwards. After the engine is in place, I have no room to put a belt on, with out tipping the engine again. I did try the mechanical clutch again, and the shaft out of the engine is too short, plus I will have the same room issue. Worse case scenario, I'll put a plow on it instead. Any thoughts?

Elon, What about rigging the blower up to drive from the center PTO like the 900 series AC's. There have been quite a few posts on that subject. GregB

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
Elon, What about rigging the blower up to drive from the center PTO like the 900 series AC's. There have been quite a few posts on that subject. GregB
Yeah, I may have to do just that. I have to install the plates I made to get the tires away from the cone for the cone clutch. Right now, the cone is off so the lugs don't hit it. I didn't really want to use the center PTO to power the blower, as the price of that 137inch belt scares me:O I may make a hitch like Dutch made with two belts, but we'll see.

I run a 42" blower on my 917H from the center PTO with the long belt. Have not had a problem , yet. I think the key is to get everything lined up right, before you put on the expensive belt :D GregB

Well after a lot of thought, I decided to bite the bullet and move the engine back. It only needed about an inch and a quarter. I have it almost finished. I'm now just working on the bracket to mount the PTO to the engine. I'll try to get some pictures soon. Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Well here it is so far. It's just enough room to squeeze a belt in. It's not exact to the hitch, but it seems to work well. I'll get more pictures today.

here is a few more with the blower and belt.

I still have to make the electric remote spout turner. Then to put a cab on it.

Elon, Looks like the belt is twisted the wrong way in the last picture. e.g. The vee is on the outside with the flat side down in the pulley vee. Hope I'm wrong.

Roy, the pulley on the engine, is a "v" and the belt is in it the right way. The pulley on the hitch, is a flat and is on it the right way. After reading your reply, I looked, and then had to look again. You had me second guessing my self!:D

cant you move the clutch back a bit that belt is awfully crooked,I hope it stays on for you.the side pto works fine.I lengthened a stock hitch like 1 1/2in, for the700 ser frame, and got a napa belt for $18 it works great.

Dave, that is as far back as the PTO will go. The key way groove isn't cut to the block. I think I have enough tension on the belt to keep it in place. Only time will tell though.