Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Weekend bargain, (another brand)

B-16_IC

I went to an auction Saturday looking for walk-behind stuff and instead came away with a few new tractor friends and another rider of another brand. I bought it for the front rims, narrow 8's (can you say tri-ribs boys and girls?) and for the starter generator. But after getting the homely beast home it is growing on me. The engine has no fire according to the PO, but wow does it have compression!

If you notice it kinda leans? This is why.

A 6-12 on one side, and a 23 8.50 on the other! So what do you guys think? Shall I allow another off-topic stay on the ranch? BTW, it cost me $20, Too much huh?:o)

It just has one of those compact donut spare tires on he right rear. Hey for $20 I would have scarfed it up too. Nice find.

I had a 1968 Bolens 1050, I gave it to my brother, it came with a cart, aerator, mower deck, snow blower, grader blade, and a 10" turnover plow and all of the original receipts and manuals, nice tractor. jh PS- I think the starter/ generator spins in the opposite direction compared to a simplicity.

The engine should be an HH100 tecumseh, these have a mechanical compression release so it shouldn't have so much compression unless the release is bad, and when its bad they are pretty hard to turn over, but they will run. Must have had some sort of ignition problem since it has the car coil, these engines did not have points on the later ones with solid state so I don't know how he had that rigged up. Here is a good bolens site: www.sonnysbolens.com

I do think I will do something about the tire situation! John, if the starter turns oposite, then that clenches it it stays together! Chris, yes it is a Tec HH100. the PO said the solid state quit. Where is the compression release at? Thanks.

Looks like a nice project! Bolens always built good, tough machines, going back to the old two wheel Power-Hoes from the 1950's. Another good company that went down the tubes and ended up just a generic brand name. Sad.

Thanks for the tip Chris, and for the link. Information is always invaluable with these old machines! All you guys are convincing me that I should keep it, I guess that's what I'll do.:D Now for some implements, more hunting!8D