Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cone Clutch

Chris727

Back in June I bought a sharp looking 7010 6-spd at an auction, was one of those "we'll gaurantee it" deals where being a collector, I bought It knowing I'd have to fix something anyway. Had to clean the carb just to get it to stay running, again not a big deal, but then once I drove it I found it made a horrible noise when I would put in the clutch, but it only did this with the PTO disengaged. Uh-Oh, another cone clutch problem, another reason I'm more of an FDT guy. Just finally getting around to dealing with it now. It appears the bearing is bad in the pulley assembly. Am I correct that this can be fixed without splitting the tractor, and is this bearing a specialized part or has anyone had luck getting these at a bearing supply house? Thanks in advance. Chris

The bearing is a specialized part which is still available from Simplicity. I bought one a couple years ago for $28. I just lost one in another tractor this week. Luckily I had an extra one. The spring broke in this setup which cause the race of the bearing to spin on the shaft and ruin the steel sleeve that goes thru the bearing. That is not available separately. I will be looking for another spare, now, since I just used my last one.

Thanks Rod, they are up to $41 now. I got it apart. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly. I think the sleeve inside the bearing is worn, and the spring guides need replacing. The bearing feels dry, and the BGB shaft has some slight wear where the bearing was, I would say it is around four or five thousandths of an inch. Does this sound excessive?

I have a similar problem on the 99 sovereign I just bought. Terrible grinding noise when you push in the clutch. Haven't narrowed it down yet, but I bet it's the clutch. funny thing though this tractor is brand new, never been used........Mike

I should note that when the clutch was engaged, even with the minimal shaft wear the pulleys were tight on the shaft. They only wobbled when disengaged, you could probably move them around 1/8th inch or more on the shaft, and I think they vibrated causing the noise.

Mike, we are talking about the PTO clutch. If your bearing has rusted from sitting, then you should hear the noise when the mower is not engaged. Chris, My shaft was worn more than you said yours was. The bearing should not be turning when the mower or other attachment is in gear. It only turns when the PTO is disengaged. I just put the other clutch on mine last week to blow some leaves so I don't know how well it is going to hold up. The bearing in my old one felt fine. It was just the sleeve that had gone bad. I think I may have had one of the spacers for the spring in the wrong way, or had the ends reversed. I made sure this last one was correct since I replaced the whole assembly including the spring and end spacers.

The noise is without the mower engaged, so the bearing may be shot from sitting and rusting, I'll check it out tonite...........Thanks

If you are using the tractor without a belt on the cone clutch (no mower deck or snowblower), would it be better to operate the tractor with the cone clutch engaged all the time so the bearing does not spin?

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
If you are using the tractor without a belt on the cone clutch (no mower deck or snowblower), would it be better to operate the tractor with the cone clutch engaged all the time so the bearing does not spin?
I have had this same thought. I have only limited experience with the 'cone-clutch-equipped' variety of SimpletrACtors. Is there a writeup somewhere on this Forum about these cone clutches? I searched and could only find a limited # of topics. Thanks. Tacey

From the lack of responses, I was beginning to think that I was the only one who had these problems. Thought maybe the assembly had been put together wrong when I built the tractor. Both of my tractors that lost the bearings had been pieced together from parts.

Would anyone happen to know how much wobble of the pulleys is acceptable when the clutch is disengaged or should they be snug if the bearing/sleeve is good?

Ken, The sleeve is part of the bearing assembly and is not sold separately. I have two good bearings with the sleeves gone in them. The sleeves are very thin and made of steel. They would be very difficult to machine on a lathe because they are so thin. They also need to be hardened so that they will last.