Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
debshirl

tranny troubles

debshirl
bought a 2110 ran good after running it for a while broke right side axle tube had b12 rear end assembly swopped it out ran for several days guess what broke right side axle tube agian what luck unit has calcium in tires would it be i have to much weight for rear end or possibly diff messed up on both units any suggestion would be helpfullCCC

HubbardRA
Paul, I would think that the tractors had been abused in a past life. Breaking an axle tube is usually from fatigue. This comes from popping the clutch hard in both forward and rearward directions. It is like bending a wire back and forth. If you keep doing it, the wire will eventually break. Fatigue is more pronounced and happens quicker with loaded tires, since the wheels can't spin to relieve the load, like a set of un-loaded turf tires will. I don't think your tube failures have anything to do with the diff. I have run a couple of them that were completely locked, and still have not broken an axle tube. The excess load from a locked diff is on the solid axle that goes all the way thru the unit. Loading on the tube is still the same since it just transfers the load from the tranny to the diff. I would suggest that you make sure that your clutch engages smoothly when you get the tranny fixed. A clutch that grabs suddenly, will eventually fatigue and break the axle tube.

Al
Hi, I agree with Rod, but would like to add something. Usually these failures start in the end of the keyway. Since most steel failures start at a sharp corner this is the most vulnerable spot. Usually when you take one of these failures apart and examine the keys they will be hourglass shaped. This is caused by stress. When the keys get a little play, they then the rocking action puts undue stress on the tube at the top of the keyway. On almost every one of these failures I have seen, the stress crack starts in the bottom of the keyway and runs to the groove where the retainer ring is. If you look at these failures with a magnifying glass you will probably see the hairline crack line usually at about a 45 degree angle from the keway. Often the crack will run through the groove for the ring and continue at about a 45 Degree angle and the triangle shaped piece will break outward and break the side of the transmission case. I have abused these tractors and broken axle tubes. I have also learned that when they get about so much abuse if you replace the keys with new ones, the tubes will last a lot longer. I never remove a differential assembly from an axle tube without replacing ALL of the keys when I put it back together. Even if the keys are not very old. Al Eden