Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dmsmitty2004

A couple Quick Questions

dmsmitty2004
Hello Everyone, I just wanted to stop by and Say Hello, as I am new here. I am currently working on the restoration of an early B-10, and a 310 Deluxe model (at a stand still, currently set up for snow pushing, although the weather is too NICE, and my electric lift is gone, and cant find one). I picked up the B-10 a couple weeks ago after buying it off of ebay, brought it home, had to weld up the frame, now that is done I started tearing more of it down this weekend, and was gonna fire the engine up real quick, in the process of doing so, I found there is no spark, so its either coil or points, I know the points are in sad shape, but I have the engine off and the coil exposed, and it to is a mess, so I figured I might put a new one on. Well upon some investigation, also involving my after-market Primeline parts catalog, I am being told that you can't buy a coil for the briggs 23-D engine. Am I correct? Does anyone know of where I can get one, or of one that would work. Also I know the wiring is quite simple on the b-10, but does anyone have a wiring diagram. My father and I got into quite a lengthy discussion over where one wire should go. The wire coming from the key switch is busted and I also noticed a busted wire underneath the ground wire for the battery bolted to the engine, that is busted. Just yet to me that would make no sense, should that wire from the switch go to the coil or the points, as it acts a ground wire to kill the engine? And if anyone knows of an electric lift that would work for a 310D it would be appreciated, as years back it quit, so my father and his brother rigged it up with a manual lift, and it looks well, like a redneck rigged it up. LOL. But I get that for living in Kansas. Anyway sorry for the essay, I'm in college What can I say? I also have pictures of the B-10 in various stages, and when I brought it home, with it parked next to a 611 hydro. Soon as I get time and remember to bring the camera in from shop I'l post pictures. Thanks, David aka dmsmitty2004

Chris727
Weclome to the club! I'm your age in college too. Was that the early B-10 in Missouri on ebay a few weeks ago? There was a blue one, then a yellow one that looked pretty straight and original. As for the coils, I needed one for my b-10 and it was still available at the time but was about $90. I got a new one on ebay for $26. Watch ebay, they come along now and then. If its the 3 leg coil it should be part # 296834.

Dark
I hear a lot about coils in the forums and thought that I should share this knowledge There have been times when I can't find a coil for some engines but have found on Briggs that a lot of coils cross not by part number but by architecture I have found that a electronic ignition coil can cross to a points as long as the shape is the same if(If the flywheel face side makes a nice even curve around the flywheel and the bolt holes match) they will usually work. I have used 8 hp on 12 hp and vice verse I have taken many off and replaced them with what bolts up and have had no problems with the conversion.

dmsmitty2004
Thanks for the help so far, That seems to help me out, I have been looking for it. As for the coil, I didn't see anything on ebay yesterday, I was going to call another Briggs Dealer I know of in my area tomorrow, when I get back to my house. and Yes, this B-10 is the yellow one that was up in Northern Missouri, a couple weeks ago. It does appear complete, and the metal is pretty well straight, the only serious problem was the busted frame, but I understand that is a common problem with them.

mooseman3210
please let me know what the original part # is i have a guy who might have a new original one . PM Me and I'll get you cell # so we can see if i can help you also he is pretty cheap price wise . David

dmsmitty2004
Thanks Dark, I too also figured there was something that they make that works, I was looking in my parts catalog and was thinking a few would probably work, I will check it out. I have done this with other Briggs engines, but didn't about one this age.

Simplicity314
You might want to consider changing it over to battery ignition. You will need an automotive style, internal resistor type coil and some rewiring but battery ignition is usually more reliable and produces a stronger spark. Do a search. There are plenty of how-tos on how to do it.

HubbardRA
To hook up an automobile coil, all you have to do is hook the points to the negative side, and bring power thru the ignition switch to the positive side. You will need a different ignition switch on the tractor to do that.

dmsmitty2004
Although, after double checking earlier today, I find that the coil appears to only be a 2 leg coil, but maybe I'm wrong. Since I have the parts laying around to change over to a battery ignition coil, I will probably go ahead and change it over. I was also thinking about switching over to electronic ignition instead of using the points and condenser. Am I correct on my thinking that this is possible? What are your opinions on this? Any different ideas? I have never converted one to electronic ignition.

GWGAllisfan
Coils for the 23D are still available. I bought one this spring. But as was said, new are 85-90 dollars and will almost certainly have to be ordered, but nearly any briggs dealer can get them if they are willing. On my landlord, the new coil for some reason didn't cure its erratic spark, so I went with battery ignition.