Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

looks like i'm hooked

LOKI_130

been looking for a large older garden tractor, as a platform for a front end loader i'm planning on building. i recently found an old tractor at a neihbors house. the owner (a 16 year old) told me that it did run good, but just quit one day. he told me i could have it for 60 bucks. i turned the engine over, and found no compresion at all. but figured i could just throw an old b&s engine on it anyway. the kid saw me frown when i checked the engine, and imeidiatley dropped the price to 40 bucks. told him i'd be back to pick it up in the morning. i jotted down the engine model number before i left, and did a half hearted search for parts when i got home. and came up empty. i went to pick it up in the morning, and he asked me right off, if i had any luck finding parts, when i told him no, they don't make that model anymore. he must have have thought i wasn't interested. and asked me if i'd at least give him 20 for it. wich i agreed to, (i was going to pay 40) so i get it home and pull off the head to find a broken connecting rod (no damage to the block or cylinder) and the rest of the motor looked to be in great shape. so i figure i could rebuild it. me not being a collector or anything , still didn't know what i had. till i found this site while looking for parts. turns out, it's an Alice B210 with hydrollic lift. everything is there, no missing or damaged parts, the seat dosn't have any tears. not even a dent on the metal. just some light surface rust. My plan now, is a complete disasemble and restoration. so, i'm looking for info on a rebuild kit for the 243431 brigs. and also info on the hydros. seems they were a factory option, but i can't find any info on them at all, and i've only come across one picture of another B210 with them. and while draining the oil, i discovered the reason for the rod failure. the crank case was filled to the top with what appeared to be 2 cycle oil !

Nice find Loki, and welcome to the club. I'm fairly new here myself. I don't know much about these models, but you can bet someone here does!!! Did the oil smell like gas when you drained it ? Greg

Welcome! Spend the ten bucks to join the club and you will have full access. Well worth it. Do a forum search for hydrolift rebuild and you'll find plenty of articles. The hydrolifts have a Parker Pump. You can get engine rebuild kits from many of the site sponsors here or on ebay. Good luck. Oh yeah, we like pictures... once you are a full member, you can post them.

I have a 243431 on one of my tractors. Great engine. I have put rings in it twice. Still runs great. Buy an new rod, and new rings, and you are good to go, if there is no crank damage. Only way to know is to take it apart and check the parts for damage and the sizes of those parts for wear. I've never done a "complete" rebuild. I just replace the worn parts and put the engine back together. Why mess with something that is still within spec?

thanx for the quick replies. i plan on joining real soon, and i'm taking some pics today. the kid who sold me the tractor called me this morning, and said that there is a tiller atachment for it in his barn, that he forgot to give me ! so i'll go get that today. No greg the oil didn't smell like gas, I think the kid just grabed the wrong bottle when adding oil, or was really dumb. and judging by what i paid, i'm inclined to think the latter. Rod, i'm a firm beleiver in doing things right. if i'm going to have the motor out, and apart. I might as well do a complete overhaul rather than risk mismatching old and new parts. and having a failure that could cause damage. besides, this tractor deserves it ! ;)

Welcome!:D Nice to hear of another tractor bought by someone that realizes it's value and plans on keeping it alive.^ Always great to hear of someone getting such a bargain, hydrolift, and a tiller? Too good to be true!:D

As far as I know the only way a B-210 came was variable speed. It is the same as a Simplicity 3210v (model number 990569) they were made in 69 and 70. Here is the link to the parts and owners manual. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_800_1319_01_LL_S.pdf These old tractors are addictive, I started a few years ago looking for info on a broadmoor 728. I found the club and now I think I have 11 tractors and 1000 parts. I built a loader for my Squire 9, It will lift anything 230 pounds and under and still not be to bad. When you put 300 on it it gets interesting. there is a picture of it in my profile. If I can help you out let me know George ps Welcome aboard, It's the best $10 a year I spend

I've also got a B-210, very good machine. There is a manual for the hydro-lift pump on the club homepage under resources, and there are not currently any kits available for the engine, but most parts are available separately.

Loki, I had 3 B-210's at one time. Danged great machines. I still do have all the manuals needed for it on my computer, it's a lot of information that I've collected from the time I had these. So, if you're interested in all of them (I've got engine, deck, tractor, variable drive, parts manual, repair manual, and other such manuals) please feel free to PM me with your e-mail address and it'll be my pleasure to send them off to you. But be warned, you'll need high speed internet to download all of them.

Nice tractor find Loki. I have Allis Chalmers B-210 tractors with manual lift. The motor is rebuilt and 10 hp is lots of power for this tractor.:( When yet the tractor fever you are hooked:D....I have over 35 Simplicity & Allis Chalmers tractors now. Karl

welcome aboard. I got a used Regent last year, it was my first tractor and I found this site while looking for info. I am hooked on Simplicitys because they are simply made and easy to work on. I now have it equipped with a snow plow, a snow thrower and dump cart. I use it every weekend. I saw a Broadmore on ebay for $225 and couldn't resist. I now have 2 tractors. The wife says I need to part with one of them, fat chance. All told I have about $1300 invested in both. I was on ebay looking again today, I can't help myself. The Broadmore looks like it needs engine work. I will attempt my first engine rebuild and with the support from the members on this site, I'm confident I can get it done. Like somebody else said, there's a lot worse things you can get hooked on. Have fun.

Loki, Did you get all the emails with the B-210 stuff? Sent 'em to your email account as requested. Hope they were useful.