Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Johnny Bucket model

skunkhome

Johnny Bucket is now making an electric lift and dump model to fit the Simplicity large frame tractors with manual lift. .

Wasn't too keen about the mount frame but it works well and doesn't sacrifice as much clearance as it appears.

Once the interface is attached to the tractor the bucket mounts and dismounts in about 2 minutes.

Kit comes with two toggle switched that mount neatly in the dash.

I found that the ring pins holding the dump hinge pins in place were too subject to damage. I bent one and lost it and the hinge pin on the right side. Luckily I was paying attention and noticed before the missing pin did any damage to bucket. I have since replaced with cotter pins.

I found that the tractor with loaded turf tires easily scraped and shaved even clay soils. I used the bucket this last week at school to move and spread 9 yards of crushed limestone around and under our t-buildings and to re-contour the yard to keep water from standing.

I worked with the tractor for 6 hours straight today and I can tell you that I am worn out. With a full bucket it takes two men and a little boy to steer the thing. The tight spaces up under and around our t-buildings are a perfect match for this size tractor. Sure beats hiring in temp labor and spending 2-3 days shoveling, wheelbarrowing and spreading 9 yards of limestone.

All in all it works very well.

Cool set up . I really like it . Did you have any counter weight on the back? I think if you put some good weight on the back and added some air to the front tires it might steer a little easer ??

quote:
Originally posted by FastPaul
Cool set up . I really like it . Did you have any counter weight on the back? I think if you put some good weight on the back and added some air to the front tires it might steer a little easer ??
I agree totally. I had my tonnage and ballasted tires but no I have not come up with a counter weight yet. One of the previous owners broke off the RH side ring that the lift pivots on and of course there is no rear lift assembly. How much weight is safe to hang on the rear of the tractor?

I wonder what lead to him changing the mounting from the earlier style, being pinned to the axle like a plow, to mounting it like the "Bucketeer" buckets like were made before? Any thoughts? GregB

quote:
Originally posted by GregB
I wonder what lead to him changing the mounting from the earlier style, being pinned to the axle like a plow, to mounting it like the "Bucketeer" buckets like were made before? Any thoughts? GregB
Greg, He still makes the ones that attach to the front axle if you want to use the lift on the tractor. This rig is specifically designed to be a self contained unit primarily for use on tractors with manual lifts. I could have purchased the other design but opted for the electric lift. Another point, since the bucket attaches to the frame its attitude is governed by the rear wheels rather than the front. I don't know whether that is a plus or a minus. Regardless I find that it works pretty well.

I would guess that since the lift and pivot points are higher than the axle mount style the bucket can be lifted higher? And maybe dump cleaner? I like mine alot, used it this summer to move 25-30 tons of fill and top soil, then for good measure spread 10 yards of crushed stone. Glad the 917H has the hydraulic lift. GregB

It may lift a little higher but then again the power dump lifts higher than the manual dump anyway. I do know that the control for shaving and scraping soil is precise enough to allow such activities with turf tires. It also eliminates the possibility of bending the lift link.