Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Dilemma

Mike

I put my Carlisle ags on the new tractor last nite, the problem is the lugs hit the cone clutch. Are spacers the answer? Thanks, Mike

Spacers would do the trick, but it sounds like your tires are too wide for the rims, causing them to balloon outward. Different rims are another option. On my HB-212, the tire chains didn't touch but came uncomfortably close to the fan shroud on the hydrostat. I had an extra set of rims here (believe they were from a Bolens). When I measured, the offset of the rims was 1" wider than the Allis rims.

Mike, my wife's puller is the one that are probably taking about. Originally I took the cone clutch off, but recently put it back on. The rims and lug I have on it, did the same. I made spacers, but with the extra wide and no offset rims, it still hit the "cone" of the cone clutch. I just took the "cone" off for now. I have two more spacers I'm going to put on, but need longer bolts. I don't need the cone clutch for the winter, so I'm going to leave it like that for now. If you don't have any plans on using the clutch, you can buy some time, by doing the same thing. Oh just to give you an idea on spacers, if you have an old axle laying around, cut off the two bolt patterns and blow a hole in the center of one. That is all I did for one of my sets. The other I made out of 1/2 stock.

Those ags must be really wide compared to the stock tires. I just measured a little over 2" clearance with the stock turf tires. I was thinking of getting ag tires, but now I'm having second thoughts. Tacey

I just gave away a spare rear end, darn it. I will probably put the original tires back on. Personally I think the lugs look better on fdt's.

Mike - I have Carisle 23 x 10.5 x 12 super lugs and they are smaller in diameter than the turf savers, and do not come close to the cone clutch. What size do you have?

quote:
Originally posted by MikeES
Mike - I have Carisle 23 x 10.5 x 12 super lugs and they are smaller in diameter than the turf savers, and do not come close to the cone clutch. What size do you have?
Had me wondering the same thing.

I have 26x12x12's on my 7117. I have wide rims with standard offset. The tires were on the cone clutch. Could not start motor,as they put the brakes to the clutch. I used the dual wheel adaptor, bolted it directly to axle flange and reverversed wheels to bring tires closer to tractor. I had the dual wheel aqdpators on hand so it was easier than making spacers.

These are the wide 10.5 normal offset rims that I had my 26 inch tire on last winter. The AGs are the ones I just picked up from Ebay. I have one of the spacers installed in this picture.