Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Shroud Removal tips

Simpleton7016

Happy Turkey day turkeys! I have always cleaned out behind my engine shroud with a pressure washer. This year, time got away from me and it is too cold to pull out the pressure washer....so I tried removing the engine shroud the old fashioned way....but what a pain in the dupa! Do I really need to remove the drive shaft to get it off? Any tips would be greatly appreciated....

Yep, and unless the last guy left out the bottom bolts you need to loosen/remove the engine mount bolts to the frame and tilt it back to be able to get to the lower housing bolts. Greg B

Erik, you can get a lot of debris cleaned out by removing the cylinder shield (Item 306) that is mounted up high on the right hand side of the block.
[img]/club2/attach/BLT/Airbaffle.gif[/img]
The lion's share of the debris is normally trapped in this area causing decreased air flow. One or two bolts hold the shield in place and is easy to remove and clean area out with air. That also opens things up to where you can run the engine and let its fan blow blow out debris.

quote:
Originally posted by Tacey
Are you guys talking Briggs? Tacey
Tacey, the answer is yes. Erik has two Sovereign class and I have four all Briggs powered.

I have always wondered why people don't cut a access door into the shrouds ...I mean you can get 4X4 body plugs that will seal the hole up. http://www.harmancorp.com/products/plasticplugs/flushstyleplugs.aspx

quote:
Originally posted by BLT Tacey, the answer is yes. Erik has two Sovereign class and I have four all Briggs powered.
Would my Landlord clean-out procedure be the same? I have the 3410, equipped with the Briggs single. Thanks. Tacey

quote:
Originally posted by Tacey
quote:
Originally posted by BLT Tacey, the answer is yes. Erik has two Sovereign class and I have four all Briggs powered.
Would my Landlord clean-out procedure be the same? I have the 3410, equipped with the Briggs single. Thanks. Tacey
Yes that would work from Model 19 to 326437.

Thanks guys....I am taking Bob's advice and gonna do it the easy way and just pull what I can out...plus this way, I have someone local to blame when the engine overheats! hehehehe

Take the small cover off on top of head.3 head bolts 1 shroud bolt. put head bolts back in torque them then start trac then blow air into the clog it will free some it up keep doing it a few times and it'll clean itself out.