Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dav

checking the coil

dav
is there a way to check the coil in a 12 hp briggs? the B12 ran about 10 minutes and died. there is no spark. the out of production book doesn't enlighten me and a search thru the club archives found no matches for 'check coil'. i am heading out to get a condensor but i wonder if there is a way to hook a meter to the wire from the coil lead that goes to the points to see that the coil itself is working. would like to know what i have to pull the engine for as opposed to doing an exploratory

Dark
Check ignition: Remove the spark plug and check for proper gap. Test for spark at the end of the secondary wire with a spark tester. If no spark, check for: 1. Incorrect armature air gap 2. Incorrect breaker point gap (should be 0.020" when points are open) 3. Dirty or oily points 4. Dirty or oily condenser hold down clip. A small amount of dirt, oil, or corrosion will keep the condenser from adequate grounding. 5. Wire extending through the condenser and shorting out 6. Shorted primary circuit wire. Trace the primary wire from the coil to the condenser or ignition module. There may be a break in the insulation. 7. Continuity of the primary wire. Sometimes the wire looks good but it is broken inside the insulation. Check for continuity with an ohm meter. 8. Shorted grounding or kill switch wire 9. Bad condenser 10. Bad coil (1 in 50 coils is bad) 11. Bad spark plug 12. Closed kill switch 13. Bad electronic ignition module Also check for missing or sheared flywheel key. The engine could still have spark but not at the correct time. http://iaa.umd.edu/walls/INAG207/Ignition/Ignitionsteps.html

dav
changed the condensor, then regapped the points-shoulda done that first!- and bingo, got spark. but what i wanted to know was; if i put a multimeter to the wire from the coil to the condensor/points, what should i look for in a normally functioning coil? at the plug wire, i would just look for a spark to the engine block(wife says to just hold onto the wire and crank 'er over! done that before but never intentionally) just seems like there should be some kind of simple test that will tell the condition of the coil