Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs engine swap 10 to 7 1/4

BrownA

Can someone refresh my memory about trying to put a 10 hp Briggs into a B-1 that uses a 7 1/4. If my memory is correct I don't believe that can be done ? I don't remember what the differance was ? Thanks, Al

Here's the one Roy did Al http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=76252 http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=77327

Al, you of all people should know, that anything can be done!:D I'm going to do the same thing to my 725. I can't seem to sell it, so I'm going to stick the 23D that I took out of the Landlord, in it, and get it going, put a deck under it, and keep it at my mom's house. Seeing how I mow her yard, I mite as well use somthing I don't mind anyone seeing on!:O:D

You need to cut the hole in the frame to make the necessary clearance for the air shroud. I used a big hammer and re-formed the frame to make clearance for the fan shroud. I still had to put a small flat on the shroud. You will also need to eliminate the lower grille brace. The engine will sit directly against the grille.

Mine bolted to the same holes. You cannot use the original spacers that were under the 7 Hp engine. The crankshaft on the 10 Hp sits a little higher. I would also recommend switching to the flex disks in the driveshaft when you swap engines. They will directly bolt in as a replacement for the old rubber and metal joints.

Rod, did you use an A-type block kohler? I know the pan gaskets are a bit larger for the 10hp briggs than for the 7 and 8's, learned that the hard way since they look the same, I thought I had a 10hp gasket on hand, turned out it was a 7.

Chris, I have had a B/S 243431, then a 12 Hp Kohler from a Cub Cadet, then (now) a 14 Hp Kohler with the flat bottom pan same as a Simplicity. I had all those engines hooked up and ran them at tractor pulls (in the 61 Wards) at various times, over a 20 year period.

I have 2 of these 725s, both with 10 horse briggs engines. one has the hood cut out to clear the exaust, the other has the frame cut and bent down to lower the engine. They both perform the same.