Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ehertzfeld

Twin engine front lift.

Recommended Posts

ehertzfeld
I don't know if any one else ran into this. Wile setting up the old puller to be used for winter use, I tried to put a standard lift arm on the blower, only to discover that it hits the cylinder that sticks out of the frame!:O:(! Well I could have made up a new rod, with funky bends in it, but I figured that this machine has cables to lift everything else, why not the front. Well here is what I came up with.




As it is right now, it doesn't lift it that high. The cab that it's getting, I have to have the lever travel short to keep it in the cab. Once I make it hydro or electric lift, I can make it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tec2484
Elon If it don't lift it high enough. Bolt a piece of flat stock to the lift arm pointing straight forward and put a hole in it right above the pulley and attach cable there. It should make it lift higher. Down side it will make it harder to lift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
onefeather
Elon, You could mount another pully on the front frame bolt that we can see in the picture, running your cable over the pully,it should lift a little easyer??? Onefeather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ehertzfeld
thanks for all the nice comments. It lift as easy as a normal rod and the only reason it doesn't lift higher, is because I cut it longer than needed. When the cab goes on, the lever will stay in the cab. Thus, my hand will too!:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ghwrenchit
Elon, Great job!! If it lift's high enough, good deal. You may want to make up a bracket at the blower lift mount. Maybe 8" high, and 3-4" out from the blower. The further away from the blower pivot point (vertical) the more lift / power it will have. Consider it a "long wrench handle", if you will. Just a thought... Greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stevenj
If I had to guess, I'd say that the effort to lift the blower was lower with your modification because you effectively raised the lever ratio by effectively shortening the lift arm (i.e. perpendicular distance between the cable and the pivot shaft centerline). The higher lever ratio results in the lower cable travel. With a simple lever arrangement it is a tradeoff between travel and force. From the looks of your set-up it looks like the cable is close to going "over center" when the lift arm is in the full up & full rearward position. You might want to move the pulley higher up so that it is directly in-line between the lift arm and the blower arm, and then rotate the pulley 90 degrees so that the cable goes around the side of the engine rather than underneath the cylinder (mount a piece of angle iron to the frame and then mount the pulley to the other leg of the angle iron). If you did that you should not lose as much lift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×