Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RayS

Brinly Seeder

RayS

I picked this seeder up a while back and thought about doing a restoration on it. Does anybody know whether or not if the hoppers are available? Anybody know the proper name for that type of chain it is seized and needs replaced. It is not roller but more like what is used on agriculture equipment.

skunkhome
nice single row planter. If you removed the chain and soaked it in varsol and oil do you think it would free up? You may be able to find the chain at an overhead door company. That sort of chain is used on roll up doors.

PatRarick
The chain is still available, and is relatively inexpensive. It's called "detachable steel chain". You'll notice a slot in each link. You remove the chain, fold any one of the links to line up with the slot and hammer it apart. Connect in the same way. Line up the slot and hammer it together. There's a special tool to hold the chain for attaching/detaching, but it's not necessary. Most have the chain size stamped into the link, but that's not always the case. If the chain is worn excessively, the number might also be worn off. Here's a link to Tisco tractor parts that lists detachable chain: http://catalog.tiscoparts.com/smartenterprise/catalog_public.html Look under roller chain and select "steel detachable chain". Also see that there are three dealers within 15 miles of you.

RayS
Thanks Pat, I seen that chain in a bigger version on something when we used to farm about 20 or so years ago when I was a kid. Wasn`t sure of the name of it. My father has since passed away and my uncle that used to farm with him as well has retired and moved about 600 miles away so I figured someone on here would know the correct name.

WITom
If you soak that chain in oil or WD40, you should be able to get it loosened up. I doubt it is wore all that much as people don't typically plant hundreds of acres with planters like this. If you can get it loosened up, I would just run it the way it is. If you insist on spending your money though, take the chain to any farm equipment dealer and they will be able to set you up with the proper replacement chain.

RayS
Tom,I got the chain freed up. Took the idler loose, wired wheeled it and soaked it in oil. Probably won`t plant anything with it either. I really have no use for it other than looking at it. Just taking up more room in a garage that I already can`t get into.