Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

My New 7016

KDurkee

Well here is what I hope to make my newest snow throwing machine. I got from my brother-in-law last summer and never got around to getting it running. It came with a 48" snow thrower that is in very good shape. I wish I could say the same for the tractor. I want to get the engine running before I go further. I couldn't get it to turn over with the key, but I got it to turn over by jumping the solenoid, so I'm assuming that I have a safety switch issue. The gas tank was full of water, so I have emptied the tank and taken the carb off for a rebuild. My dealer is still trying to see if he has one. There was no spark at first, but I cleaned and adjusted the points and now there is spark. There is a white wire coming from the harness that is laying loose near the points cover. I'm assuming that this is the ground wire to shut the tractor off. Does this wire connect to the points along with the condenser? There is also a black wire coming from the mag area that is bolted to a tab of steel that appears to be broken off. Can you tell me where this goes? Maybe you can see the wires I speak of in the photo. I have a question about the ignition switch, too. I question whether or not it is the stock switch because someone has the plug that goes on the ign switch pretty messed up. I think I could really use a wiring diagram for this model. Does anyone have one or do I just need to get hold of Simplicity and by a service manual? If you guys have any suggestions, hints, or things to watch for to help me get this going for winter, I'm all ears. Thanks!! Keith

I don't think it looks too bad. I believe the white wire goes to a fiber tab that is attached to the exterior of the points box, I think the black wire also goes there (going by memory.) You might try downloading an operators manual from the Simplicity site, it might have a diagram. As for the carb, your dealer should be able to order all the parts you need for it.

Looks like it's solid. A little cosmetic work, sort the electrics, and you'll have a nice one. Most folks like the hydro best for snow throwing. Good luck with it; I'm sure someone will have the diagram you need. Tacey

I think there is a link in the tech tips and articles that will give you the wiring diagram. The Simplicity large frame manual is worth the investment in my opinion. It helped a lot on my 7016. The black wire is the coil wire. It should pass through the flywheel cover. The white wire is the ignition kill that passes back to the ignition switch. It should be joined together with a yellow wire, IIRC, and attached to the one end of a fiber tab, and the other end of the tab attached to the top screw of the points cover. The tab is available separately, but it comes with the large flo-jet carb kit. I'd recommend replacing the throttle bushings while you are at it. Consider replacing the voltage regulator if you have the dash apart to that point. Or at least test it.

quote:
Originally posted by DeltaBravo
I think there is a link in the tech tips and articles that will give you the wiring diagram. The Simplicity large frame manual is worth the investment in my opinion. It helped a lot on my 7016. The black wire is the coil wire. It should pass through the flywheel cover. The white wire is the ignition kill that passes back to the ignition switch. It should be joined together with a yellow wire, IIRC, and attached to the one end of a fiber tab, and the other end of the tab attached to the top screw of the points cover. The tab is available separately, but it comes with the large flo-jet carb kit. I'd recommend replacing the throttle bushings while you are at it. Consider replacing the voltage regulator if you have the dash apart to that point. Or at least test it.
Thanks for the responses guys! I already have the dash all apart trying to get the wiring sorted out. Not sure how to test the regulator. The back cover is off as well. It was pretty bent up and needs some TLC. I have the mowing deck off and have already taken the steering mechanism out and freed it all up. The steering wheel was already damaged because it steered so hard. Works good now. I see no yellow wire and what is an IIRC? I bought a carb kit, but it did not come with the throttle shaft bushings or seals like I expected that it would. It didn't come with the fiber tab either. I think I will go ahead and get the service manual. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future anyway. It will probably tell me how to test the regulator too? Thanks again. I'm sure more questions are coming.

quote:
Originally posted by duckman
quote:
Originally posted by KDurkeeI see no yellow wire and what is an IIRC?
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly
LOL...Thanks! I guess I'm not up on all the texting acronyms.:o)

Hi Keith, I have the problem with my ignition switch harness and plug being all tore up. Here is where you can get a replacement. Bless whoever started making these. The 7013S also had a hacked up wiring harness and plug when I got it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180152041187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008

quote:
Originally posted by rsnik
Hi Keith, I have the problem with my ignition switch harness and plug being all tore up. Here is where you can get a replacement. Bless whoever started making these. The 7013S also had a hacked up wiring harness and plug when I got it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180152041187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008
Thanks! I'll be getting one. It looks like a good solution to me.

The carb kit doesn't come with the small intake gaskets or the throttle shaft bushings. If replacing the shaft bushing, you may need to replace the entire shaft, and also the stop and the roll pin that holds it in place.

Well, I got her running today. It turned over about 3 times and fired. WOOOHOOO! Hydrostats work. Lights work. It doesn't shut off when the key is turned off. The white wire doesn't go to ground when the key is turned off. Does that mean that the ignition switch is bad? Is there supposed to be a ground wire to the switch or does the switch ground to the chassis? There currently is no ground wire and there is no continuity between the white terminal and the switch case when in the off position. She looks like an oil burner.XX( Lots of blue smoke. I'm hoping that it has enough power to throw snow and make it through the winter. I'll try to get the tires to hold some air tomorrow.