Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

grounding ignition switch

Ronald Hribar

This summer two of my tractors developed the same problem. They would not shut off with the ignition switch. The tractors are 7116 with Briggs and 7117 with Kohler 20 hp magnum. Both systems require the switch to ground out the ignition when shut off. I finally got to working on them, fully expecting to see a broken wire at ignition switch. The wires are intact and test okay for continuity. My question is, the wire that comes from ignition switch and goes to terminal board along side switch, Is that how the switch goes to ground. Mine does not.

The Kohler has a 12V coil and needs a power source to run, switch contacts closed to run. The Briggs is just the opposite. It makes its own power and needs to be grounded out, so the contacts are closed to stop.

The orginal KT 17 needed a power sourceThe20 hp Magnum Kohler does not need a power source. If you send power to the ignition system you will burn up an expensive unit. The terminal board that the wire goes to the ignition switch . Only has that wire on it, so it can not be the lights. I'll check for continuity between dash, switch and ground. I find it strange that both machines developed same problem. Although the switch on the 7116 seems bad, at least the portion that the key fits in.

I'm getting two new ignition switches tonight, will make sure switch is grounded to dash AND that dash is grounded also..

Every tractor I have got so far that runs won't shut off when you turn off the switch. I have been buried in home improvement projects and a navigation class I signed up for and have not done a hands turn of work on the 2010 Landlord I bought a month ago. The only thing I do know is that, as usual, the engine will not shut off when you turn the switch off. In this case it is clearly evident that the kill wire has dropped off or been accidentally pulled off the ignition switch. I have to prevent the bare end of the kill wire from touching anything to start the engine and just touch the wire to any ground to stop the engine. So far it has always been a hacked up harness or worn out/damaged harness to switch connector that is the culprit. Look down inside the harness to switch connector and check the female connectors. In my case they were hopelessly corroded, missing or just wore out. As I mentioned to Keith a short while ago a new harness and harness to switch connector can be bought here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=180152041187&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=008 I bought new switches and still no joy; it was the harness and the connector. The harness itself where it connects to the connector gets basically rotten; the wire turns green about a half inch down into the insulation and resistance soars. Dunno 'nuttin about your Kohler Magnum. I have only owned Briggs.