Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt Retainer Help

grnlark

I have a 57 Wonderboy that I’m about to start a ground-up on. The only thing I haven’t figured out prior to disassembly is the heavy wire retainers for the belts. When I got the mower, there were no belts on it at all. And now that I have the correct belts and everything functions, they do pop off on occasion (without these retainers). I know the retainers are there to prevent the belts from popping off, but I have no idea how they go. Does anyone have a picture or illustration of how they’re supposed be hooked up? Thanks in advance, Matt

Their location is shown in the operators & parts manual that I previously suggested you download. Here are the links again to download the manuals. PARTS MANUAL - OPERATOR'S MANUAL 57 Wonderboy http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_3562_00_XX_S.pdf PARTS MANUAL - Wonderboy Series Tractors http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1230_00_CO_S.pdf

I did download and review both of them previously. The problem is, I have reason to believe that my retainer set-up has been altered. There appears to be additional washers added between the retainer springs and two random nuts (I think to act as spacers?). I’m not sure exactly how it is supposed to be spaced out and or if I’m missing any pieces. I was hoping that someone might have a clear picture of the setup, or if someone here owns a Wonderboy, if they could post a pic? Thanks

I have a wonderboy 575, but the set-up is different. I would suggest installing the guards that you have, and position them just close enough to the pulley so the belt can't come out. Mine has metal strips bent with a radius for belt guards, and that is the approximate spacing on them. Hope this helps!

Do you want to come up and look at a couple of them? I have a wonderboy 400 and a wonderboy 575 that are complete. the 400 has not been tuched. I am just east of Greenbay. Bob

quote:
Originally posted by ka9bxg
Do you want to come up and look at a couple of them? I have a wonderboy 400 and a wonderboy 575 that are complete. the 400 has not been tuched. I am just east of Greenbay. Bob
Hi Bob, I really appreciate the invite. If I didn't live in Connecticut, I'd be there in a heartbeat sm06 Considering the geographic distance between us, would it be possible to take a few pictures? Thanks, Matt