Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simpleton7016

Where's the dipstick and drainplug

Simpleton7016
This is a picture of the 16 horse briggs that I repowered my 912 with. (Well, that someone else repowered my 912 with). Pictured is the filler tube that I use to both drain the oil and add new oil. i just changed the oil again and let me tell you, it is excruciatingly slow. For the life of me, I can not find a drain plug and or dipstick. i just use a big pipe wrench and turn this tube down to drain it. Once drained, i crank it back upwards and add oil at an absolute snails pace. There really is no way to measure how empty or full it is other than just dripping 2 full quarts in. Soooo, that is where y'all come in. There has GOT to be a better way. i am not exagerrating when i say that it takes me a full hour to add two quarts of oil....and I don't want to do it ever again if I can avoid it. Someone one told me that these red/pinkish engines are aftermarket engines. Are there some unknown secrets?
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/oilfiller2.jpg[/img]

MPH
I believe the oem engine in those rbt's should have a dipstick/filler tube coming up outta the block and be about level with the head. Almost looks like a tube in the upper right of the picture you postted but can't say for sure if that's what it is. If not, my guess is whoever repower your tractor didn't worry about that 'little detail'. Not sure if it be possible to drill a hole and add one or not, but you'd have to tear the engine down to do that.

NandoG
I just looked at my engine and it has the dip stick is coming out of the block. Your picture looks the same as mine, I circle what looks like the tube for the dip stick.
[img]/club2/attach/NandoG/oilfiller21.JPG[/img]

Chris727
Yes, Nandog is right, there should be a filler tube up on top, my B210 with repower, Sears Suburban, and Gilsons all used briggs with that type of dipstick, I would remove the curved drain pipe and put in a straight one. I can't imagine trying to fill it with that.

Simpleton7016
Fernando, Marty and anyone who spent time reading this thread....my apologies. Yep, that is in fact a dipstick!! I can't believe my idiocy!! Someday when I am on my deathbed, I am going to wish that I had all the hours back that I spent filling up the oil in that curved drain plug!!

MrSteele
I put a 16 in place of a 10 last year. The 16 has a dipstick just as your does. I also swapped oil sumps from the 10 to the 16 so I would be able to fill the oil without taking the hood off. The 16 had the filler on the wrong side. The sump can be drilled and tapped to fill from the other end, but swapping sumps was easier for me. If you want to continue filling at the bottom, remove the elbow, install a short nipple with a tee on the end. Put a plug (for draining) in the end of the tee, and install another short nipple vertically to just above the joint between the sump and the block, screw a cap on it and fill from there.