Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Harbor Freight Tire Changer

Scott Salmons

Ok I have looked at the old posts on the HF tire changer and think I want one. Do those of you that currently have them think they are worth it? Just changed the front tires on the 720 and had a heck of a time with breaking the beadC.

I have used the heck out of mine. I like it. Have changed 6, 8, 10, and 12 inch tires and rims. It 'is' work sometimes though. You gotta mount it securely, also. I have wrenched mine right off the table I had it lagged to due to stubborn bead breaking and tire mounting forces.

I purchased the Northern Industries tire changer and have been pleased.

bead breaker works equally well on 12" and 8" rims

use of a tire bead lubricant is escential to prevent damage to bead while mounting and assist seating of bead upon inflation. I use a 4:1 mixture of water and ivory detergent. never lube bead with oil or grease.

Vinnie, as you try to break it down keep moving the foot closer to the rim. Also a lubricant helps as has been mentioned. Like I said you have to work at it sometimes.

I have the same unit as pictured by skunkhome and find it very easy and effective to use. I just clamp it in the bench vise when needed and back on the shelf when not in use.

I've sometimes laid a 2' length of 2" x 4" up onto a tough bead and driven my car up on to it. Have never used a real changer but the one Skunkhome has looks pretty nice!

I love mine, For the bigger tires bracking the bead, you need to push in several spots on one side or general area. Not just in one spot and think you will push it down. go a few inches on each side and push some more and it will brake the bread well. I cut off a fruit tree just out side of my shop some time back and the stump was standing about 32" high, so i mounted the base of my tire changer to it. I can pull the pin and take it inside when not using it. Another HF tire tool tool that is a must is there tire stap for compersing a wide tire out to the rim when inflating. The best tire tool i ever baught.

quote:
Originally posted by dhardin
... Another HF tire tool tool that is a must is there tire stap for compersing a wide tire out to the rim when inflating. The best tire tool i ever baught.
If you don't have one of those, I have used tie down ratchet straps before to try and get a tire to bead well enough to take air.