Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Axel tube crack - prognosis?

Simpleton7016

Well, i was getting my fleet ready for winter....changed the oils, cleaned the carbs and got out the grease gun. As I was filling up the grease in the rear axel, I noticed that the old grease was squirting out of a crack in the axel tube. RATS! I have a couple of questions: 1. How long can I run it like this and do I risk further damage if I do keep using it to plow? 2. I did a search of the archives and the tech tips, but did not find a step by step procedure for replacing the tube...does anyone have any tips. 3. Is the anyway to jerry-rig it just to make it through the winter and to a warm summers day. 4. Finally, I have a spare rear end from a 7016 3 speed. Are the tubes the same in a hydro vs a 3-speed? Meaning, can I make the three speed rear end a donor? Thanks in advance!

Hi, I wouldn't try to use it. It will break soon and if the crack has run through the retainer ring groove, it will probably tear out a triangular piece and often breaks the casting on the transmission side plate where the seal is. This is the typical break. Starts in the key way of the tube and runs to the groove where the retainer ring is. Most likely the keys are hour glass shaped and then they rock and the stress starts the crack in the corner of the key groove. Always replace the keys any time you take the differential off. Really cheap insurance. 7016H takes tube P/N 1651517SM and the 7016 6 speed takes 2164222SM. Sorry to be the messenger on these part numbers. I have changed these in the hydros without taking the rear end out. To get the tube stripped, you need to take the right wheel off and then the collar that holds the right hub on. Next remove the left wheel and loosen the collar on the axle shaft on the left side and push the left axle in as far as it will go. Go to the right side and remove the washer, and retainer ring and the keys that go in the Sun gear in the planetary differential. Next drive the differential off the axle tube. Remove the retainer ring behind the differential and the grease fitting and clean the axle tube up. If the crack has started to split the tube, you will need to sand or grind the ridge off to not damage the bearing etc when you remove the side plate. You need to take the right frame plate off, the brake drum and clean the shaft of it off. You can then remove the right housing cover and go from there. It may be easier for you to remove the rear end after the differential is off and put the left side in a 5 gallon bucket for a holding fixture. The choice is yours. REPLACE ALL OF THE KEYS WITH NEW KEYS. Good Luck, Al Eden

Thanks Al! Dang! Classified ads here I come. Great advice....is there anything else I should replace besides the keys while I am at it?

To get buy, I have welded the crack with good results.When I have time to replace the axle, just grind everything smooth so that the case half can slide off. This is not a permanent fix or guaranteed fix.

• 3 weeks later...
I can't weld so I took Marty's approach and threw some hose clamps on. This was the first chance I have had to leisurely plow - meaning, we weren't in the midst of a blizzard or imminent storm. Essentially, if she broke today, then I had the time and weather to get 'er to proper shelter for fix'n. I have a spare rearend all lined up and ready to drop under....but I think I am going to see how long I can go before she gives....a true man of science. Heck, for all I know, it has been like this for 8 months since i last gave her a shot of grease back in April.

Erik, I have the same situation with my '64 Landlord. I greased the fitting and removed it. Than I put a heavy duty hose clamp over it, as the crack is next to it. Fortunately, I don't need this tractor for regular snow removal. It is just used for some clean-up work and play time. But, until I can replace the tube I will be very gentle with it. I do not want a disaster, like Al's post has indicated could happen.

I our pulling tractors I have a muffler clamp on the tube between the diff and the transaxle case. This is not to prevent a break but to preserve the right side transmission case if the axle tube does break. Been there...Done that!