Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Opinions on Snow Blowers

evensteven

I had to sell off my Jeep cj with blade 2 years ago when I rehabed my house.Now is the time of year in Northeren Ilinois to think about snow removal. I have the ole faithful Allis 712 hydro sittin in the back of the shop. Have been looking at snow blowers in the classifieds as a possible option powered by the allis.IM LOOKING FOR FEEDBACK ON SNOWBLOWER PERFORMANCE. The winters here have not been as hard as they used to be. But I do get a pretty good drift in front of the garage door when the snow blows over the roof and down. Thanks to all in the past who have givin advice on and sold me parts for the ole allis. The rains were timely up here this past summer and allis had alot of grass to mow. Shes a trooper. Steve

My experence in Northern Illinois is they do fine. I have more HP so that might be part of it. My dad has a 716 and I have a 7117. Both will blow through an drift we can find. It might take a while and multiple passes but they get the job done well. My biggest tip is keep the blower as full of snow as possible as it blows better. Second tip keep the engine on the govenor at most of the time. We blow with the hydro going as fast as we can handle until the engine starts bogging down from the snowblower, then we slow down and catch up with snowblower and back on the hydro. My problem is in the subdivision the drive is too short to really get moving well. On the farm the 716 can blow 20+ feet on the 1/8 mile drive, as you can mantain the speed for a distance.

I can pretty much clear 42" of snow as fast as I can get the tractor to move. Last year, I had probably 12-15" in my driveway. I started clearing at the same time the neighbor was having his driveway plowed by a truck. I was done first and it was a lot cleaner!

I love mine, but if the snow is wet its not good. When I had the 7012 I'd put the blower on it and the blade on the 7016. Covered it all that way.

Here's my 7016 at work last year. Just had to take about 8-10" out of the driveway yesterday. Real wet heavy stuff. Worked great!

Hi Nice looking cabs you got on your tractors. I am still waiting for my cab to come in for my 1920H. Have had it on order for a month and nearly a half now. Was forced to blow snow last night and today with out it. I won't miss the snow blowing back on my face once I do get the cab. I wonder what the hold up is though. Talked to my dealer last week, he said cab would be shipped the same day I spoke to him, said it would be in the following Monday. Well called him yesterday, cab was not in, but found out it was going to be shipped this week now. Sigh. I hope it is in next week, but I won't hold my breath. Take Care Jason B

I've thrown snow, and I've plowed it. I sold my snowthrower two years ago. Most of the snow we get here is usually wet or just not deep enough to throw. The blade just does a better job under those conditions. I also would rather plow the snow. I have no cab, so i just bundle up and enjoy the ride. A plow is also cheaper to buy and operate (fool-proof). Tacey

I have an old 10 hp 2110 and it will throw any snow i get in michigan over the garage. Had a real wet snow Saturday, I do most of the neighborhood. Only bad thing on very wet snow, I usually burn up the belt.

We’ve had two storms 2 days apart and lots of snow. Been so busy in the shop and haven’t gotten the snowthrower on the 9020 yet. Had to use the legacy with loader to push snow and NO CAB8C. -14 this morning. Even if it’s cold out with the cab on the 9020 it’s fairly comfortable being the snow dust doesn’t cover you and no wind blowing your face. With a blade or loader you have to have a place to pile it and it will leave high ridges. With the blower it throws it farther and it doesn’t make the big piles. This picture is a couple of years old.
[img]http://simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/MN_FISH/Blowingsnow05G1.JPG[/img]

Last weekends 6 or so inches of heavy wet snow here in central Michigan was no problem for the 919 with blower. Even as wet as it was I was throwing 15 to 20 foot when I had a good blower full going at governor speed. It was kinda neat coming home sunday night through our subdivision and seeing all the piles of plowed snow in other drives while our driveway was cut nice and clean with the snow way to the sides:D:D. Sure was easier on me than plowing would have been. Last year I was afraid I was going to be out of plow space before it finally quit snowing. Will use the blower as often as possible now. Greg

Here's a video of my 42" snowblower in action: http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7QeVjG7big Wide-open throttle and keep the thing full of snow, in an unbroken stream, and it'll pump slush...