Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

410 problem found

mooseman3210

Well guys i got the Broadmoor done and put away. and i got the 10 horse that Went( boom )last night out and put the 16 horse on the 410 frame for now got that running and ready for the snow .When i got done I decided to take a look at the 10 horse to see what the problem was and this is what i found .

Hopefully it didn't break the block, was it low on oil? There are a lot of things that can go wrong in these, they can overspeed and self destruct, they can overheat, I had a 16hp kohler in a massey with a rod like that, in several pieces, but the cam busted a hole in the side of the block. It wasn't starved for oil.

actually it only damaged the piston rod doesn't seem to be any other damage then this ( Like this isn't bad ) of course I'm gonna have to do another rebuild on it . It had to have been something i did because this is the i just put back together. Well live and learn (i guess) Still a real bummer . That was my first engine rebuild Apparently I'm gonna need to get a little bit better at this . LOLB)

That looks like my 7012 after it blew. I not a big fan of the kohlers any more. Maybe I just had bad luck but seems to the briggs are better.

I have known of a few people not putting the rod/cap in the correct way. There are two "Match Marks" that need to be aligned with each other. Then align the rod on the crank journal so the oil hole at the base of the rod/cap dipper faces the camshaft. This allows oil to be properly splashed into the hole and provide oil to the rod journal on the crank. It is something that is easily overlooked for first time rebuilders. Dan

This is my fault not the engines i think i over tightened the bolts on it and when it got a heavy load on it it went out . the kolahor book has ft LBS and in pounds and i didn't notice it . so i think it was all my fault on that . I'm just a novice at this but i'm learning fast . hopefully i don't have to learn the hard way every time but it seems to be the way i always learn ..