Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

637 problems

MarksA-C

I'm setting up the yoeman to get ready to plow. I have hit a problem with the tire chains, they hit the PTO shaft. Note* I swaped out the old 16" rears for a set of 18" because the original tires were badly cracked and the hubs were badly worn. I don't plan on usung the rear PTO pn this tractor, so "Could" I cut off the shaft? Mark-

Yes you can cut it off for clearance. For others info this has a later model trans that has an output shaft (PTO) on the left hand side that was meant for a tiller drive, similar to the "bigger brother" 3-speed 728 & 738 Broadmoor. Make sure you get some good weight on there to help with traction.

I would have additional weight on standby just in case. How much depends on your weight too. The tractor is on the lighter side but is built tough for its size. Wet snow will give it the test. Get out there before it gets too deep and experiment. Remember the larger tires will help but too much weight on the outside of the wheels can strain an already old unit. Some have put adjustable weight lifting sets on the rear hitch area. The idea is to use only as much as you need. I think the original wheel wts were around 35 lbs each so that's 70 total - maybe you can go 20-30lbs additional on the backside.

i got the same problem kinda...i need more wieght on the backside...i need help on how to make a homemade weight rack in the back. Oh and Mark, im going out to get my tractor ready for the snow storm...ill be on AIM soon.