Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter Cab Dreamin'

MPH

With my score from Ben while in Nebr

With all the recent pictures of cabs being put on the past few days I went out to a van full of stuff today looking for cab fixin' material. Found this old backpacking pouncho I made in 1972 when I made my frost-line tent, sleeping bag, backpack and down coat. Haven't seen it in YEARS, but I knew it was yellowsm00. Thinking my backpackin' days are pretty much memories thinking the rip-stop nylon should be useable to replace the canvas front and back.

Depends how long it stays 35 below how far I get right now, but I need to know the size of the front and back windows. Thinking of looking for a window from the auto industry to make a hard windshield so I can have a wiper on it. Thanks to anyone willing to go measure thiers.

Marty, I would use a sheet of acrylic for the front window. You could use a wiper on it, but there is not the danger of breakage like there would be with an auto window. Also, if you use 1/8 inch acrylic, it is pretty lightweight. You may consider a hard front panel made from thin plywood with an acrylic windshield, that way you could mount an electric wiper motor to it.

Marty Before I bought my factory hard windshield for my cab I removed the clear vinyl windshield and glued in a piece of 1/8" lexan. I used spray on upholstery/carpet contact cement. it worked great. The cold don't bother the lexan and you don't have to worry about it breaking. before with lexan windshield

After with factory hard windshield.

In this picture with the cab lights on you can just see the factory electric wiper.

Marty The rear and side windows are the same , 23 1/4" X 14 1/4" The front window is 29 1/2" X 16 1/2 " With a 4" X 10" notch cut out for the lift handle piece. Hope this helps

Thanks for the measurements Paul. Forgot about the notch for the lift handle, or can I forget about it again seeing the B-112 has hydro lift. My door windows are plexiglass and not in too bad of shape. Maynard, wouldn't the lexan scratch with a wiper on it? Like the idea as it be easier to work with.

Marty, the lexan is pretty tough. It may eventually scratch from the wiper, but it is much harder than plexiglass. Lexan is used for windshields on many race cars, when plexiglass is not allowed.