Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower counterweight

qtown7116H

With all this talk about snow, and the paltry 1" we got over the weekend, I've gotten to wondering if I can put together a rear counterbalance for the weight of the blower on my 7116H. I've seen posts on here of the older FDT's with them, but haven't come across a system or parts to do it in a large frame RBT. Is this something Simplicity did as an attachment or modification? Any help is appreciated. When it does snow in SE PA, it's the heavy wet stuff, and with the buildup, the blower is an armbuster!

Probably the quickest and fastest relief you can get is an electric lift for you 7116H. You see them for sale almost constantly on eBay. Last year I used a big snow blower on a 3416 with manual lift. I was just amazed at how, the next day, I would have muscle pains in places I didn't even think I had places. You can counter balance the snow blower by buying and installing a rear lift kit just like the older FDT's have. Then buy or make a stinger weight to insert in the hole of the lift bracket. Add or subtract weight until the weight on the rear lift counterbalances your snow blower to your satisfaction. As far as where to buy a rear lift kit, I would check all the dealers who are sponsors here, maybe run a "wanted" in our classifieds or perhaps a member here knows.

There are a couple of links that will answer your questions http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=52275&SearchTerms=changing%2Clift%2Cdirection http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=56751&SearchTerms=changing%2Clift%2Cdirection Hope it helps to answer your questions! Dan

You need to have the rear lift hooked up so that it goes down when the front one comes up and so forth. If they both come up at the same time, then the rear weight will not counterbalance the load. Most of the later model 7100 and 900 models have a double ended arm on the rockershaft which allows the the direction of the pull of the cable to be changed by moving the attachment point of the cable going to the rear lift. If you change the cable to make it move opposite of the front attachment then weights on the rear will counterbalance the front load.

The main problem with your tractor is, as you lift the front attachment, your rear will lift as well, giving you more weight to lift. The older tractors rear lifts were designed to be used "when needed" as a counterbalance. As the front goes up, the rear goes down. I think the 3400 and later models were not made to do this. The best thing you can do is, an electric, or hydraulic lift. However, if you are crafty and have a welder, I have been thinking of making a weight the would mount under the tractor, pivot at one point, and be lifted and lowered using the deck cable. I have not looked to see if it would work or not, but I think it would. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the deck would be opposite of the front and rear, right???

Last summer I made a dirt bucket for my tractors, a 7116 and 712. I put the tiller on my 7116 and the dirt bucket on the 712 which has manual lift and no rear lift. Two springs hooked to the front of the frame helped counterbalance the bucket weight. Counterbalance springs would be a quick fix until you find an electric lift or fix up a counterweight. Stan

Check this link that was posted before, scroll down to UCD's posting. I re-routed my cable on the AC716-6 speed. But I needed to change the rocker shaft for a newer one like in the posting. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=42000 GregB

After you get the linkage figured out, take a piece of steel rod and shove in the lift bracket hole, mark it and drill hole for a pin. Go to your nearest ready-mix concrete company and see if you can beg ,steal or buy a scrap drum roller. All you want is the roller itself. Make a plate on each side and weld it in. Drill a hole thru the center and slide over the rod and weld it. Makes a great counterweight and saves a lot of freight trying to get one shipped in from an e-bay seller. Another way is to use scrap brake rotors off a car. If you get all the same kind you can stack them and make the weight adjustable.

Ok I looked under the wife's tractor and it appears that with the deck cable that it would lift up as you life the front as well. However, I think that if you disconnect the cable, you could attach a weight to the lever that the cable wold go to. I have some of the materials to fabricate one up. I'll take some pictures as soon as I get started. Hopefully tomorrow.

Well, it's 10 degrees here this morning and working on the tractor is not a high priority. I appreciate any help you guys have offered up. Hopefully Elon is not Rube Goldberg and will come up with an efficient way to do this, and take some good pictures as well. Seems like it should be an easy thing :D

Ken, You need to check the rockershaft that is underneath your tractor. The 7116H may already have the double ended mount as shown by pictures in some of the links previously posted. If that is true, then all you need to do is move the cable attachment to the other hole on the other side of the mount. I have two of those shafts in my garage that I plan to install in my 716H and 713S tractors when I get the chance. They both came out of 71XX tractors.

That was my next move...to see what I'm working with. After looking at the various posts in the past, I'm hoping for the best. I'm sure, after gaining all of this knowledge, that I can put a working system in place. Hopefully the snow will wait for me. Again, thanks to all who offered up advice or help. I'll try and keep you guys posted. If nothing else, I'll get some snow removal action pics up for all to see. dOd