Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How Lucky Can You Get, Well Not really

UCD

Had about 8" of snow this morning went out and started the 7790 and cleaned my yard then went and cleaned the walks at the 6 duplex apartments next door. I then blew out the 400' path thought the woods that Ann Marie uses to walk to work. I then backed the diesel in the garage and parked it. Around 1 o'clock we had a couple more inches of snow I went back out to blow out the end of the path in the nursing home parking lot where they plowed it in. I started the diesel and a just as it started there was a loud bang and a very loud clatter. A lot louder than a diesel usually makes. I got it shut of and started looking. I found the front fiber disc in the drive shaft had blown. I knew I had some spares but where. I found them buried in a box behind a mower deck a shredder grinder and the B-110. The next hurdle was to replace the disc with out removing the drive shaft and rear flange. There is just enough room to move the shaft out of the way and with the Lombardini on rubber mounts to pry the engine ahead just enough to get the shaft flange to clear the bolts to get it back on. All of this at 20° in an unheated garage. Still better than doing in in a snow bank which I have done before. I have had one of them break because of hitting something solid in the ground but never setting still in the garage.

For bad luck Maynard, ie breaking down, you couldn't have had better luck for location of breakdown. Now all you need is a stove in that shop and a stack of some of that maple you pick leaves up after. Glad you found the parts on hand.

What did you expect, Maynard? That it would break down before the cold weather set in? Nooooo...of course not!

>there was a loud bang and a very loud clatter. This has to be about the cheapest repair possible for that symptom. And you didn't have to haul it back to the shop and didn't have to hunt for parts. There are people who would have reacted to that symptom by going out and buying a new tractor, abandoning the 7790. So how many heart beats did you skip when it made that noise? -Don

This engine has over 5000 hr's on it so my first thought when I heard that noise was rod though the block. It happened just as it started. If any of you are knowledgeable of the Lombardini diesel there is a lot of shake rattle and roll when they start especially when cold. I shut it off and looked around it and didn't see anything. I then look down between the air cleaner and fuel tank and the drive shaft was not where it was supposed to be, it was off to the side. I have broken two other discs but it was when I hit something solid in the ground and came to a quick halt. With the weight and chains I have on it the tires don't spin easy. Both of those times it was the rear disk and the engine was at full throttle and there isn't much room in the tunnel for a drive shaft to roam in loose at 3800 rpm. By the time you get it shut off the shaft is a pretzel. And both times it happen it was in a snow bank aways from the shop.

Mine has two fiber disks on each end when I got it, stacked right on top of each other. The tunnel has evidence of breakage and hydraulic lines with Simplicity part number tags on them :>

Sounds as if they were weak and on the way out and the bouncing when starting finished them off. May be why it happened while you were in the shop instead of while out working. You use the belt drive off the BGB to drive the blower right? This may contribute to fatigue in the discs. The alternative of course would be a front drive and possibly more belt trouble. Also the Diesel doesnt offer the front pto does it.

quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
Sounds as if they were weak and on the way out and the bouncing when starting finished them off. May be why it happened while you were in the shop instead of while out working. You use the belt drive off the BGB to drive the blower right? This may contribute to fatigue in the discs. The alternative of course would be a front drive and possibly more belt trouble. Also the Diesel doesnt offer the front pto does it.
I can't believe how much these things bounce around in the rubber mounts after starting :> But yes, no factory front PTO. I think there is some taper shaft or hub up there to attach a pulley to, but the front engine mount is right there too.

Lucky? Tough one. This is like the story of the worker who fell 5 stories down an open elevator shaft and lived to tell about it. Was he lucky to be alive? Some (like me) would say that a truly lucky man would not have fallen down the elevator shaft at all!

I always complain when a machine breaks when I'm usng it, but I've never known one to break while sitting idle... Probably not going to break while not being used, is it?..lol Just bought an AC 312B that has been used for a puller. Trying to take some of the 'puller' out of it... The engine has been replaced with a B&S 18 HP L Industrial with dual pipes and oversized rear ags. I think it will look sharp when/if I get it painted. Thanks for a great site guys, been looking for several weeks..

It sure send a chill down the back when you hear a noise that shouldn't be there. Glad to hear it wasn't something more serious.

It's nice when the parts that you need are in stock....:Dand there is no better place to break down than in the shop....sm06 Glad that it was not the engine and that you got it fixed.dOd