Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter fleet ready

PeppyDan

Here is my winter fleet. I got these both ready a couple of weeks ago. I have used a different Sunstar with this cab and blower the past few years so it should be good to go. I have used the tractor for a year or two with mowing and blade duties. The Powermax is what I got in trade to my dad for the Sunstar I had been using with the blower/cab setup. I bought a second Powermax in rough condition but with a blower and blade in decent shape so I set the blower up on Dad's old tractor along with his old tiller as weight for the back. I wired in a new switch for the electric spout rotator and it's ready too. I hope to try the Powermax out this year but don't need any snow until about the end of February. Then it only needs to snow once!

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Cab/no cab, looks like a easy choice which one to use.:D
Yeah, most of the snow removal will probably be done with the Sunstar but I want to see if the Powermax would be a good replacement for it with the addition of a cab. If so, I will build a cab similar to the one I built for the Sunstar. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by comet66
I turn green with envy every time I see that cab. You guys sure did a great job on it.
Thanks again, it bolted on this tractor just as easy as it bolted onto my other Sunstar. Now I am confident that if I ever sold the cab it would fit on that persons Sunstar also. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by AGCO918
Dan, You have a nice fleet of snow plowing tractors.Hope to see your powermax at the show one of these yrs.
I think Dad had this one at the show a few years ago when they featured A.C. but I could be wrong! Dan

I got out today and was able to blow some snow with both tractors. The sunstar performed as usual, being able to throw the snow 30-40 feet with its two stage blower. I then tried the Powermax to find it only blew the snow 10-15 feet. At times it could barely get over the side of the blower. I was running the engine full throttle but I don't think it runs more than about 3400 rpm. I was getting the best results pushing tractor to the point that the governor could just hold the rpm's. To push any more the engine rpm's would slow down, any less and the engine didn't need to use the governor. This tractor has the 52" single stage blower and the belt is new and properly adjusted. I was going through 10-15" drifts and could keep it full. It also blew allot of snow down the outside of the chute at the joint for the upper deflector and blew onto the spout rotator motor. The paint on the inside of the chute & auger is rust and rough. Is this somewhat typical performance from one of these Powermax blowers or do they normally perform better than this. Maybe sanding and paint the inside of the chute would improve the performance. Dan

quote:
Originally posted by PeppyDan
Now I am confident that if I ever sold the cab it would fit on that persons Sunstar also. Dan
I'd like dibs on that deal.^

peppydan, That cab still looks fantastic where is the post that shows your build up? every one that wants a cab should get ideas from it.

Thanks for the compliments on the cab again! Here is a link to the initial post. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=11906 After blowing a little snow again today and becoming a snowman, I have a greater appreciation for it again! Now that I have tried both blowers, I can see that the Sunstar has a electric spout rotator in its future! Dan