Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

lawn tractor pulling

boys in the shop want to get a unit going. What unit would you suggest as cub cadet seems to rule. Any good spots or tips on either a 12 or 16 hp briggs or kohler hop up? Any info appreciated as all we have is a set of local rules which are close to NGTPA's

dlcentral
As a LONG time Briggs fan, I strongly recommend a K ser. Kohler.You can't beat cu in.Briggs just ain't got it in that sport,,we tried one last yr. We are gonna try a 712AC 3 spd with 8" drive pulley and 26X12X12 Superlug tires.One just like that MOPPED UP on the Cadets where we went last yr. And they use NGTPA rules also.Give the axle tube a VERY good examination as that is the weak spot.Esp. by the diff. unit.Good Luck to you!.

The Simplicity and AC will generally take care of any Cubs in the Stock and Stock Altered classes. When you get up into the Modified classes the tube axle and differential will not take it (a long time AC puller says the axle is good for no more than 40hp). I have twisted my tube axle into a pretzel with a 12 hp B&S! There are a few Wheel Horses in the Mod Stock but mostly Cubs, the Pro-stock and Super-stock is all Cubs (with their disk clutch). Depending on the classes and rules, the B&S is very competitive in the 14hp and under classes, but if they do not have a designation for hp, or they allow some modifications, the Kohler K or M engines are the ticket. Good Luck. Mike.