Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Got more snow here, little plowing

SimpleTom

After a disappointing run at plowing with my 7016 (with turf tires/no weight)last Saturday when we got 4-6 inches I went and bought a set of Ags and mounted my stinger weight on the back. I disconnected the cable from the lift (since it goes up when the plow goes up)and attached it to a bolt to keep it in the up position. It made a big difference with traction. I still need wheel weights and a rod to adjust the angle of the blade then I think it will be all good. Tom

Looks good Tom! For several years I used a 7016 with the 6 speed transmission similar to yours. Chains make a huge difference if you don't need to worry about a cement/blacktop drive. Mine was gravel so no problems there. Dan

Nice rig, Tom. I have yet to try out my 3410 with chains and rear weight. Maybe this afternoon; we have 2 or three inches forecast. FastPaul, I was concerned about marking up my concrete drive with my chains, but that hasn't been a problem. I have spun a bit, but usually just the ice gets scratched up. I've tried to plow without chains; it doesn't work. Tacey

Turf tires with chains and a few gallons of washer fluid in each tire works good for me. Just got it ready yesterday. Blower and chains on and ready to go. Oh, and my 250lbs of butt helps too.

I thought that there was a way to make the weight a counter-balance to help lift and lower the plow/blower, maybe change the cable position on the rockshaft. Anyone here know for sure if it can be done?

Rick, The short answer is yes you can change the cable position on the rocker shaft to allow a rear weight to counter-balance a plow or snowblower. (The reverse is also true, a front weight could counter-balance a tiller.) The issue is whether or not the tractor has the proper rocker shaft. As I understand it, some tractors only have one position on the rocker shaft and thus you cannot alter the position of the cable. Hope this helps Rick........