Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

"Mighty Mac" Sprayer

Simpleton7016

Ahh, I finally picked up my sprayer. It has been nearly 8 months since I purchased it on e-bay, but it is finally home and ready to be torn apart and re-furbished. I want to give a special thanks to Mark (Mbrook) for forwarding me the operating manual for this thing. For those of you that have one of these, how do you like it and do you have any tips before I tear it down (i.e. upgrades I should make to parts, special parts to take extra good care of that might no longer be available, etc). I plan to use this for gardening so that my lazy dupa can sit on the tractor and drive from flower bed to flower bed instead of unwinding yards and yards of garden hose. i think this will come in real handy too for mixing up batches of fertilzer or insecticide brews, etc, etc, etc. Does anyone know what kind of pressure this thing will generate? My boys will be 3 and 4 next summer and they sure love to soak dad with their squirt guns - it would be cool to blast them with a good stram from this puppy!!
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Sprayer3.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Sprayer4.jpg[/img]

Nice looking sprayer you have there. Is that the same bracket that McKissic used for there chipper? Looking at this sprayer gives me some Ideas on improving mine. Thanks for the pics.

That is a neat attachment, I wouldn't mind having one, but be carefull. I took a class on pesticides and have a pesticide liscence, the chemicals can be very dangerous. Its hard to say what chemicals have been used in it throughout the years, possibly something hazardous that has more recently been banned, even todays general use pesticides are unhealthy and residues can remain in equipment, for these reasons I would not use it to spray water on kids.

The bracket/hitch is similar but not the same. Lacks the top angle iron beneath the hooks that go over the lift shaft and is one piece of 1/8" thick sheet steel instead of two like the chipper/shredder hitch. Mackissic recently sent me a Parts List & Operating Manual for the chipper/shredder. The manual also has the sprayer in the back of it that shows the sprayer hitch.

Great looking project! If you would, will you take some pictures of the sprayer, once you get the tank off? It would be much appreciated on my end. I've got a 20 gallon tank to build a sprayer, and the pictures of your frame will help with that end of the project. Thanks:)

More pics.....but no progress to speak of yet....unless you count the 8 feet I moved it across the garage. sm01
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Sprayer3.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Sprayer2.jpg[/img]

Much to my chagrin, if you look closely, the actual pump is missing in my unit. No wonder I got it so cheaply on e-bay! Rats! Anyway, I called up Amerind MacKissic and they were nice enough to have one of their service techs take a look at the pictures. This sprayer takes a C5330 solid shaft pump. MacKissic hasn't had one of these pumps on their stock shelves for 30 years. But they did give me the number for company that supplies them their pumps. Hypro is the name of the company and based just one state away in good ol' Minnesota hey der. Again, the customer service rep was very friendly and quite helpful. They looked up the part number and in fact, they DO still carry it! My glee quickly turned to horror as I nearly soiled myself - list price $373. Wowsers!

Erik, unless I'm mistaken, you have a complete sprayer, or at least the pump is there. By looking at the diagram of the pdf I sent you, on page 3 item 23. Hopefully you do have all you need. If you have tried it and failed to get it to work, it may be due to the seals in the pump going bad. That is the hold-up on mine. I need to take the time to pull it apart and find some replacement seals for it.

I agree with Mike -- the assembly on the top that has the pulley on it, with piping going in and out, appears to be the pump...

Well in that case, I have a pump for sale if anyone needs it! sm01 Seriously though, a simple oversight on my part would not be too unusual (see recent post about a missing oil filler tube). I am not in front of the sprayer now, but if you look at the second picture down, there is an open area on the inside portion of the pump. I will take a better look tonight and post some pictures. No, I did not try it out yet, but I did begin the process of disassembly by giving every nut, screw and thread a healthy shot of PB Blaster.

What's behind that top pulley, if not a pump? BTW, pumps can be quite small. For example the hydraulic pump for the Simplicity 515 Loader (Allis L-12) shown on the link below is about the size of your fist... the controls and plumbing are the pieces that take up space. http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/515_loader/pump.htm

Looks to me like you have the pump, might be missing an end cover plate, hard to say for sure from the angle and distance of the pics

yep....the pump is there, but an endcap or something is missing off of it.
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Sprayerpump1.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/Sprayerpump2.jpg[/img]

more great customer service: Hypro put me in contact witha local distributor who promptly checked their inventory and said they had one "END CAP" in stock. It cost me $1.73 and $3.00 to ship. Should be here today or tomorrow. Sure beats the $300+ mentioned earlier in this thread. I don't want to make a habit of posting good customer service experiences, but with so few positive experiences....I don't think there is any worry of taking up too much space!:O Dissassembly to begin in 72 hours.

more progeress pics for anyone interested:
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayerhitch.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayerhoseconnections.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayerminustank.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayerrearview.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayersideview.jpg[/img]

and more...
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayertopview.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayerunderside.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayerserialnumber.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/122407sprayersticker.jpg[/img]

Hi, I acquired property with a small orchard about 7 years ago and have been working my way through a variety of sprayers until I found what suited me best. I am not familiar with the Might Mac, but the basics are the same. Your pump appears to be a two cylinder piston pump. Generally the innards are about as sophisticated as an old kitchen pitcher pump and very similar in operation. I suggest you try to obtain a rebuild kit for the pump. Every used pump I've encountered needed rebuilt. Also, this is a positive displacement system that bypasses liquid back into the tank through the pressure regulator. I don't know what pressure the system operates at, but would expect up to possibly 300 PSI with that pump. Plan on using hose and fittings compatible with that pressure. Normally there is a banjo filter between the tank and the pump. That doesn't need to meet any pressure requirements since it is on the suction side, but does need adequate flow. The best supplier I've found is GVM. Phone 800-345-3546 (PA), and 800-848-8640(OH). They sell everything sprayer, know their stuff, ship anywhere and will probably send you their 200 page catalog. Please PM me with any questions. Darryl

• 1 month later...
The sprayer is starting to go back together. I have painted it orange and have purchased almost all new plumbing. Now it is just a matter of finding time to put it back together. Should be done in time for spring planting.....but I do still need to rebuild the pump. I need to make space on my workbench first though!
[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/OrangeSprayerparts01jpg.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/OrangeSprayerparts02.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/OrangeSprayerparts03.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/Simpleton7016/OrangeSprayerparts04.jpg[/img]

pictures look great good luck with the rest of it . when you get it all done you will have to take a couple of pictures with it spraying ... thank you for the updates