Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC920

paull

I recently purchased an AC920 (1985) and would like to get some information on it, and look into to possibility of trading some attachments (tiller for snow blower). Like the guy in the Wizard of Oz in his ballon "I don't know how this works".....

Hank,

Welcome! What specific information are you looking for for? The only thing I have in the Club's library is a b&w photocopy of some sales information. But, we have several Pow'r Max (Simplicity equivalent) owners in the club. I'm sure they'd try to help.

As far as your attachments. I'd post both a Wanted and a For Sale ad in the Classifieds. Tillers usually move pretty quickly, and a snowblower that would have fit your 920 was sold through the ads a few weeks back... Who knows when another will be listed -- or someone will see your ad....

Good luck, and again, welcome!
Kent

I was wrong in stating the PowrMax was the equivalent of a 920 -- its a 7790 Diesel Simplicity. I mistakenly thought a AC 920 was just a newerAC 720 -- but, I stand corrected.

Sorry for any confusion...

8o(

Kent

Thanks for the reply Kent. I sent you an e-mail but this computer thing is new to me. Not new enough, however, for me not to notice that SimpleTractors is an extremely well ordered and professional web-site. You have done a great job.

As far as the AC 920, I am slowly picking it apart in an effort to ween it out of "storage". The tractor was bought in 1985, used a few years and then banished to the shed. The owner pulled it out in a cathartic cleaning of his possesions, and decided to sell it. Needless to say the storage guidlines as outlined in the manual were not adhered to. The diesel fuel had grown some algae like substance (easier to clean than the gasoline counterpart, varnish) and the grass catcher still had some hardened fescue residue in the bag from 1987 no doubt. The tiller had been used I would estimate once.

The tractor started with a new battery, and seems to run fine. Picking out engine knocks and pings seems a bit more challenging on a diesel, especially when I am not used to them. I have also found that filters for a Lombardini 18.5 horse diesel aren't readily stocked. I therefore cleaned what I could and put some on order.

This site has already been very helpful, even with my "puttering" with the tractor in it's infancy. I look forward to further discussions with club members, and would like to join (which I will as soon as I figure out how)(it's not that it is difficult, its that I currently lack any semblance of internet savy), and eventually help out in some way.

As for my experiences with the 920, I am quite pleased at how well the thing is engineered. I am used to the Murray/Craftsman 14 horse quasi- disposable units. I have always been an admirer of quality construction, and was quite pleased to find out that this quality does reside in garden tractors, I just had to look.

Well again, I appreciate the site, and look forward to gleaning insight and conversation from the members.