Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another Mag question

bob1959

I have a 10 HP brigs form a 3210. I have been working on mag. I have everything hooked up the way it was and turn the engine and get no spark. I even hooked up the old mag and get the same results. When I turn the engine backwards I do get spark. I don't understand why it works one way but not the other. Please help if you have the answer. Robert

Somewhat common problem. The cam bearings and cam lobe are worn causing the points not to "break: open as they should. Of course this is a complicated and expensive fix to do it properly, but there are some temp. fixes for this. You can regap the point a little wider than spec. This is a trial and error to get the points to "break" consistently. You can replace the points with an aftermarket points replacement or you can have the flywheel repolarized and replace the whole Magneto with the Briggs electronic setup.

Hi, I would check and be sure the coil is put on correct side to the block. Also check for a partially sheared flywheel key. And also Dave, I agree with you on the cam wear. I usually get the engine running and turn the point adjust screw in until I get a degradation of running and out the same and then in half way in between. Usually works well for me. Al Eden